ports (com & ltp) missing !

gizzyx 22:23 11 Oct 2007

in device manager there is no entry for ports (com & ltp), as there should be. i'm trying to troubleshoot a usb to serial cable that used to work but no longer does. winxp. anyone understand why this category may be missing?

woodchip 22:29 11 Oct 2007

Com and Lpt ports are nothing to do with USB. Most modern Computer do not have these ports

gizzyx 22:42 11 Oct 2007

hi, mate. the problem is this. my laptop had no serial port, and i needed one for whatever reason. i got a usb to serial adapter cable and loaded the drivers. got the cable working and had to configure it in device manager to use com1. thi was done in a category in device manager called "ports com and ltp". in there, there were about 30 ports configured for different uses. now the cable is not recognised by windows and the category is missing in device manager, so i cannot troubleshoot it.

woodchip 22:50 11 Oct 2007

So what are the different uses? Have you tried just resetting it up or running system restore to when you set it up. I always create a restore point before and after I do something like that so if it gets messed up I can restore the settings

Ashrich 22:51 11 Oct 2007

Have you tried reloading the drivers , that is what gets it recognised in XP , load them first before connecting the USB to serial adapter . It may well be the drivers and utilities that come with them that shows the virtual ports up ( they have to be virtual as the don't exist in your hardware )

Ashley

gizzyx 22:52 11 Oct 2007

also, a bluetooth dongle has stopped working. is this also due to the communication (com) ports not being available in device manager?

gizzyx 22:58 11 Oct 2007

tried all the obvious things, reloading drivers and software etc. they are things i use only occasionally, but they were working for several months, but havent worked for a couple of months at least. therfore i can't pinpoint a time to restore back to, as infrequent use means i can't remember when last they did work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone