portable mass storage ideas for digi cam please...

  nick_j007 15:56 19 Jan 2004

Hello all,

I am off to Antigua at the end of March (yipee!...sorry), I will be taking my Minolta A1 with a 1gig Cf card set to super fine jpeg giving me 212 pic's per full card . I am contemplating taking my Dell laptop to copy all my pic's over as there will not be any additional cost in terms of memory storage, the downside being of course the worry of loss/breakage of my laptop :-(

I am aware of the X-drive unit as an example of mass storage. it would be nice if I knew there was a PC there for me to copy them over and then burn on to my own CD's but I think it will be unlikely!

I'm sure a few of you have encountered this before...any ideas/tips please?

Many thanks in advance,


  Sheila-214876 16:19 19 Jan 2004

My friend is going to Aussie, NZ and Thailand for about 3 months shortly. He bought a unit called FlashTrax which has a 30gb hard drive in it. They also come with 40gb and 80gb. Together we are learning how to use it but it seems to take all camera cards (with adaptors) and will store your photo's and clear the card ready for the next set. Costs a lot of money to me but if you will take these long exotic holidays that is the price you pay. Try typing flashtrax into Google to find one.

  nick_j007 16:26 19 Jan 2004

I'll do just that and see what I get.

Anyone with any thoughts on taking the laptop? I may need to look into insurance for the trip.


  Flaco 17:07 19 Jan 2004

Nick, have a look at this click here

Not cheap, these things, but so tempting. There's one or two other companies that make these data tank type of units specifically for digicam users, but it's so long ago now that I can't remember who they are. Try searching on some of the UK digital camera equipment suppliers under 'storage'.

A good general [users] photographic site for reviews, etc. is this one click here

The A1 is a cracker. If you use your LCD for composing shots, you might want to try one of these click here , especially in sunny Antigua! Thing is, $10 in the US, but £20 here. Typical. Have fun.

  Sheila-214876 17:23 19 Jan 2004

Be careful taking your laptop - not just from the insurance angle - but the power supply may be different from the UK. 230-250v in the UK may be 110v where you are going. If you don't have a switch on your laptop to go to 110v or a converter to switch down it may blow your laptop up.

  Flaco 17:23 19 Jan 2004

I complained to Hoodman in the US re the cost of the accessory here in the UK. Those lovely people just got back to me saying I could order it directly from them, no problem. Comes to US$13.50 including the standard shipping of $3.55. Because it's so light, they said the standard shipping cost is fine.

Not sure if it will fit my Minolta S304 properly, but for under a tenner I'm willing to find out.

  Sheila-214876 21:29 19 Jan 2004

Forgot to say the Flashtrax is about the size of a CD Walkman and has an LCD screen about 4 x 3 inches. It is a nice piece of kit but like I said very expensive. It also stores MP3 files and plays them back on its own (very tinny) speakers but it does have a headphone socket, which we tried and the difference was amazing. It is battery (rechargeable) and mains operated but again on UK voltage.

  Sheila-214876 21:32 19 Jan 2004

The best place to see it is click here

  Sheila-214876 21:40 19 Jan 2004

Sorry to keep butting in but have just tried the website above and the AC power adapter goes from 100v to 250v so can be used almost anywhere in the world.

  nick_j007 21:43 19 Jan 2004

Nice ennuye,

I really will look into it all. Good thing the power works across that range.
Feel free to but in at any time ! :-)


  britto 22:15 19 Jan 2004

Maybe you could get a photo lab or computer shop to put the pics on to cd while your there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?