Portable Internet

The GnoMe 21:00 21 Sep 2005

Hi all, with my new job taking me around a bit, i would like to be able to access the net via my laptop literally wherever i am, train, hotel etc etc,
can i do this via a mobile phone? if so how do i do it, my laptop is about 2 years old, i have a wireless network card, but dont think this is the way for truly portable internet, what is bluetooth? what phone is best, how do i connect it to my laptop

thanks in advance

Ryan

The GnoMe 16:24 23 Sep 2005

bump to top

ricvic 17:14 23 Sep 2005

It is certainly possible. I have a mobile phone which can use GPRS (General Packet radio Service [I think]) and 3G which I connect by bluetooth to a pocket pc. I use it mainly for checking email since it is much slower than wifi. There's no reason why a laptop cannot connect to the web via a mobile. Have a look at click here for more info.

Bluetooth will connect wirelessly between compatable devices. My phone & pocket pc have bluetooth built in. My laptop has a BT USB adaptor.

3G is supposed to be faster than GPRS - at a cost. click here is supposed to be the leader for 3G network, and they have just bought out a new product for connecting laptops to the net. But beware, I've had three.co.uk contracts in the past and they can be dreadful (but not all the time!). Other phone networks also have 3g. I use virgin, which uses the t-mobile netowrk.

The age of the laptop is probably not important here. If it connects ok usually it should connect ok via bluetooth and a mobile.

Hope this helps

R

The GnoMe 21:36 21 Oct 2005

again a wealth of information i got a new phone and can now access the net anywhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?