Is port forwarding safe if I have NAS?

fmc001 12:42 10 Mar 2014
Answered

I've just purchased a replacement DVR for my home CCTV. Unlike the previous one though, this has internet connectivity, allowing me to view remotely on Ipad/Iphone/Android, but it does require port forwarding for the app to work.

I have 2 NAS drives connected to my router, so is it safe to port forward? Is it possible that doing so would allow the app publisher to access what is on these drives?

Sorry, they're probably really stupid questions, but it is a function I'd like to use, but only if it's not going to leave my home network vulnerable.

TIA

LastChip 00:55 11 Mar 2014
Answer

"...is it safe to port forward?"

Yes, providing you set up the rules in your router firewall correctly.

The unknowns are the app and the DVR. Just how secure are they? I don't know and I suspect you don't either.

Personally, unless there is a compelling reason to open up inbound ports, I wouldn't. Why risk it? However, if it's a commercial grade system incorporating secure connections, you probably don't have much to worry about.

It's a question of balance. If the data on your NAS drives is valuable and remote access isn't a priority, the answer should be obvious.

As a general rule, only let through your network what is absolutely essential. It's all about reducing and managing risk.

fmc001 12:49 14 Mar 2014

Thank you LastChip, On balance I think I'd agree. Better to be safe than sorry I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?