Port 80 is open! Is this a problem?

Aaron-188486 20:38 15 Aug 2007

I've just scanned my ports with shields up, which I highly recommend (click here) which revealed that my computer is stealthed. I'm very happy about that, however when I tried a port scan all ports were closed apart from port 80 (HTTP). Is this a problem? Could some nastyness finda way onto my comp? If so how do I close it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 20:45 15 Aug 2007

If you close Port 80 you won't be able to connect to the internet!

skidzy 20:48 15 Aug 2007
  Aaron-188486 20:50 15 Aug 2007

Yes so I've heard.

But is it still a risk? I've used other firewalls in the past and I always test them with shields up, this is the first time I've ever come across this.

I'm lucky in that I have never received a virus or spyware and I don't want to start now

skidzy 21:04 15 Aug 2007

Any open port will always be a risk im afraid.
As pointed out,port 80 is needed for browser access to the web.

Basically common sense while surfing and an up to date Antivirus and Antispyware program should be enough to secure you.

However,if you give something permission,no matter how good the protection is....you give something the rights to your pc.

skidzy 21:06 15 Aug 2007

Not fogetting an upto date Firewall of course.

Aaron-188486 23:22 15 Aug 2007

Thanks for your help guys

ianeon 05:00 16 Aug 2007

I've just scanned my ports with "Shields Up" and ALL my ports are closed - yet I am connected to the internet - so now I am confused - could someone educate me please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017