Port 5000

Dirk Diggler 09:56 29 Apr 2004

I have just done a Shields Up scan and it has told me that my port 5000 is open! Can anyone tell me what this port is / is it a problem having it open / and if so how do I close it?

Daz35 10:54 29 Apr 2004

If you click here it might help

The Dark Sage 10:58 29 Apr 2004

What operating system?

Dirk Diggler 13:16 29 Apr 2004

running xp home

Gemma 13:23 29 Apr 2004

Ports 5000 and 5001 are used by Yahoo Messenger for Voice Chat. If that is what you want, leave open otherwise close.

dagwoood 14:56 29 Apr 2004

Dirk, from what I can gather this port is for plug n play devices.

Yesterday I had the same problem as you when running port scan tests(I'd installed a new firewall and wanted to test it), it showed this port was open/not stealthed.

I resolved this problem by altering my firewall settings. If you have a firewall that you can change settings for what processes/programs have access to the internet, allow the generic host process service to send to the internet but deny it access to receive(normally called "in" in the firewall security options). As I understand it this shouldn't cause any problems and after I had done this and ran the port scan tests again my system was totally stealthed(doing this didn't just stealth port 5000 but I had other ports shown as open and they were stealthed as well).

Hope this helps/cures your problem.

dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Corel Painter 2018 launched, adding tools for thick paint

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?