popups again

awest3 18:58 03 Mar 2009

My son has a HP pc running windows xp (sp3), isp is yahoo. When he gets onto the internet he constantly gets pop ups, usually in another window. He has all the standard pop up blockers switched on and in addition also has a free pop up blocker program (cant remember which). He still gets the popups but the pages contain no content and are described in the page tab (at the bottom of the screen) with a ~. If the free popup blocker is switched off then the pages have content. I have run spybot, Malware bytes, Superantispyware with no infections reported. The machine also has avg 8 running on it...

Not sure what to do next, I should probably delete the popup blocker pgm as they are known to cause infections themselves...

any advice gratefully received..he lives 100 miles away so I will have to talk him through any suggestions...

Thanks Al

awest3 19:10 03 Mar 2009

I've just done a search on 'popups' in the database...should have done it first really...There are quite a few suggestions in there so I'll try them before coming back here..I'll post the results asap.

Al

normanneil01 00:01 20 Mar 2009

I too had problems with pop ups even though my blockers were all active. I recently discovered how to fix it though. If you click on Tools on you toolbar and go downto Internet options, select advanced options ans scroll down to the browser options, theres an option for third party browser extensions, turn it off and hopefully this should rectify your problem.

awest3 12:48 20 Mar 2009

I'll give it a try thanks...

woodchip 13:24 20 Mar 2009

Download this and install. First read the Page click here Also turn pop-Up stopper on in your Browser

awest3 18:29 20 Mar 2009

thanks woodchip I will also do this on my machine....I will report back asap on my sons machine.

awest3 19:43 17 Apr 2009

great thanks..it appears to have solved all the pop up problems....

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?