POP3 unable to fetch mail

Vulcan 23:14 06 Aug 2012

I'm tearing my hair out, having had no emails for around seven hours! Attempting to manually download them brings the error message "POP3 unable to fetch mail". Seem to recall something like this some years ago, but can't remember whether it resolved itself or whether I had to do something. Windows XP & Firefox. Anyone got the answer?

Vulcan 23:16 06 Aug 2012

Sorry - should have stated that I'm on Gmail.

lotvic 23:26 06 Aug 2012

do you also get an error saying why?

(example: POP3: Unable to fetch mail. Error: Too many messages to download. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since ...)

Vulcan 23:49 06 Aug 2012

The POP3 message is exactly as I have described and on a red background. Also in a slightly different location I have fleetingly seen an an oops message which I think is numbered 502, but it's on screen so briefly I can't really grasp it.

lotvic 00:18 07 Aug 2012

Try on Gmail Help that might help to explain it under CommonErrors tab, Troubleshooting etc.

birdface 07:50 07 Aug 2012

Are you with virginmedia as they have made a right bollox of some of their NTL e-mail accounts by deleting them without warning.

Vulcan 16:58 07 Aug 2012

Thanks for the replies, folks. Reported issue to Gmail and received the following at 23.55: *The problem you recently reported may have been a temporary issue. If you've tried the troubleshooting steps at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=error_msg.cs and are still experiencing the same problem, please respond to this message so we can investigate further. Please note that while we read every response,we may not reply unless we need more information. If you are experiencing an issue other than an "Oops...(error code ###)" error, please visit the Help Center at http://mail.google.com/support/?hl=en for assistance.*

Strangely, emails restarted at 4am today! Another one of computerworld's unexplained mysteries... Hope this helps anyone suffering a similar problem in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?