POP3 Hotmail on Outlook Express not working

Patr100 15:25 22 Aug 2009

I'm trying to cofgure Outlook Express to recieve Hotmail via POP3 before Sept 1st folowing the lossof the DAV protocol.

It SHOULD be straigntforward

"In Outlook Express, click the Tools menu, and then click Accounts.
Click Add, and then click Mail.
Type your name, and then click Next.
Type your full Windows Live Hotmail e-mail address, and then click Next.
Enter the following information, and then click Next:
In the My incoming mail server is a box, click POP3.
In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server box, type pop3.live.com.
In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type smtp.live.com
Type the account name and the password for your Windows Live Hotmail account. Clear the Remember password check box unless you're the only person with access to the computer. Make sure that the Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box isn't selected.
Click Next, and then click Finish.
In the Internet Accounts window, click the Mail tab, click the Windows Live Hotmail account that you added, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, and under Server Port Numbers, enter the following information, and then click OK:
In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type 995.
In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 25.
Under both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3), select the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
Click Close."
BUT I Keep gettign the following

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

Tried changing smtp outgoing to 25 as suugested by some but no better.
Turning off firewall isn't any better.

The Microsoft "help" & *forum" isn't any help.

BRYNIT 15:40 22 Aug 2009

This may help.

Starting in June 2008, you will no longer be able to check your Hotmail emails in Outlook Express; you will instead need to use Windows Live Mail, available for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

click here should give you more help.

Patr100 15:51 22 Aug 2009

No that is out of date. I can still access Hotmail via OE on XP but it looks like because I have always had a FREE Hotmail acount that the moethod below won't work. though they don't say that or make it clear.

"Dear Windows Live Hotmail Customer,

You are receiving this note because you have used Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage to view your Windows Live Hotmail®. Microsoft is changing the way these programs access Hotmail e-mail which will require you to take action.

To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook to view Hotmail, you can download free Office Outlook Connector to continue accessing your Windows Live Hotmail within Outlook 2003 or 2007. If you're using Outlook 2002, you will need to change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail. Click here to learn more.

If you use Outlook Express to view Hotmail, you can choose to download free Windows Live Mail (recommended) or change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail within Outlook Express. Click here to learn more about your options.

If you use Entourage to view Hotmail, you can change the settings in your program to view your e-mail. Click here to learn more.

Why is this happening? Outlook, Outlook Express, and Entourage use a legacy communications method (known as the DAV protocol) to access Hotmail. Because the DAV protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such as Hotmail which now provides users ever-growing storage*, new alternatives have been built. Last year, customers asked us to postpone plans to retire the DAV protocol until more options were available. Now that these options (including the POP3 protocol) are available, we are ready to retire the DAV protocol. "

Sea Urchin 17:46 22 Aug 2009

I use Outlook Express to collect Hotmail - the only difference to your setup above is that I use for the outgoing server smtp.talktalk.net being my ISP.

This might possibly help you

click here

lotvic 23:24 22 Aug 2009

The exact account settings needed for POP3 free hotmail in Outlook Express are on this thread click here

beeuuem 00:05 23 Aug 2009

Your settings appear to be incorrect.
"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

"Protocol: POP3" is for incoming mail. I'd check the settings under the 'Server' tab in the account.

Patr100 00:29 23 Aug 2009

- Remade the entire account - It seems to tbe working now.

beeuuem 00:32 23 Aug 2009

Good!
I got mine to work today -which proves it isn't that difficult ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?