Pop-ups on PCA Forums

griffon 56 16:54 14 Jul 2007

I'm in email correspondence with the FE over advert windows which pop up on PCA Forum pages. The FE will be dealing with the matter shortly but it might be useful evidence if anybody else has experienced the following.

Unwanted windows from:

1. IMG.MEDIAPLEX.COM 2. SMARTBUSINESSIT.CO.UK 3. AKAMAI.COM and 4. ADTECH.PANTHER.COM

I've scanned with Spybot, A-Squared and Ad-Aware to no effect, but AVG Antispy came up with 'Adware.zango' and 'Trojan.Isbar.s', both of which I deleted, but I'm still getting the pop-ups.

I know that IMG stands for International Management Group which boasts many of the great and the good as clients, such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer, Ernie Els and so on, but other than that I've no knowledge of any of them.

If anybody else is suffering please post here.

Batch 17:04 14 Jul 2007

I've blocked a number of the ad services that PCA website embeds in its pages due to the extreme load these put on the CPU (esp. the dynamic images such as flash, .gif etc.). I often have several PCA pages open simultaneously and CPU was often hitting 100% and killing the machine.

Diemmess 17:08 14 Jul 2007

...... for about one day with something that popped up as the window developed.
It affected My Postings and Helproom at least, obscuring most of the window.

Never let it develop enough to see the message, just closed it at once.

As I said, today - no bother.

griffon 56 13:36 15 Jul 2007

Hi Batch & Diemmess,

I found that Firefox's pop-up blocker was not enabled, tho' I thought that it was. I've only been here for a few moments today but there is no sign of the offensive ads so far, one of which was for Dell computers. Batch, I didn't know that they were embedded in PCA's own pages, at least it makes them benign, I hope.

I think the pop-up blocker has cured the problem.

Batch 16:29 15 Jul 2007

We may be talking about different ads. Some are (or were) certainly embedded in the pages (i.e. as images etc. within the pages). It is the ad servers associated with these I have endeavoured to block. This may have also blocked pop-ups from the same servers.

guesswho2 18:06 15 Jul 2007

Just lately I've been plagued by multiple intrusions from img.mediaplex.com and also smartbusinessit.co.uk.
I thought that I could block these with Comodo but this seems to be impossible. Firefox is set to block popups but that doesn't do the job either.
As I'm typing this I notice that I have another 2 tabs appear in the Taskbar due to the two sites I've mentioned. If anyone knows how to work the fluence on these dratted things I'll be delighted!

VoG II 18:08 15 Jul 2007
  [email protected] 18:12 15 Jul 2007

adblock plus add on
click here
no script firefox add on
click here

Flak999 18:19 15 Jul 2007

click here It works for me, since installing I have never had another pop up ad.

Jak_1 18:28 15 Jul 2007

popup stopper from panicware stops them:

click here

Just download the free version

User-1159794 18:29 15 Jul 2007

use this,
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?