pop ups a pain

bobatnorthway 22:42 23 Jul 2006

I keep getting unindated with pop ups particularly error safe, as a temporary measure I have installed the 15 day trial stopzilla, but can any one suggest an effective free programme ?

ade.h 22:49 23 Jul 2006

Do you already use Firefox or Opera? I have not had an unwanted pop-up at all in as long as I can remember.

skidzy 22:50 23 Jul 2006

What sites are you visting to get all these popups ?

p;3 00:06 24 Jul 2006

and what protection do you have on your computer

have you got adaware and spybot and have you run them? and one presumes you are on win XP sp2?

Stuartli 00:13 24 Jul 2006

Internet Explorer has a pop-up blocker from Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab - like the Firefox equivalent it is effective.

skidzy

Many sites have pop-ups - the reason most people don't see them is because they use the OE or FF pop-up blocker...:-)

VoG II 00:13 24 Jul 2006

The Google toolbar is effective click here

skidzy 00:26 24 Jul 2006

Stu i rarely get popups,but am careful to where i visit.I use FF and IE to good effect,i guess you are trying to ask if bob has his popup blocker turned off in FF.

Bob if your FF blocker is off,try Tools/Options/Content/ Tick the popup blocker

Stuartli 09:30 24 Jul 2006

No, I was subtly suggesting that you might perhaps be implying something that might not be correct - as I stated, many websites used pop-ups but most are blocked by a browser enabled to do so...:-)

skidzy 14:55 24 Jul 2006

Stu im a little lost,what do you mean (suggesting that you might perhaps be implying something that might not be correct).

I maybe should have written,where do you get these popups... is it a certain site or if offline...maybe something has got on the pc.

Think there is a little misunderstanding between us Stu.

bobatnorthway 22:44 25 Jul 2006

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will try them out, one in particular was annoying called error safe,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?