pop ups and banners

william16 23:36 04 Feb 2007

Hi Folks

Recently pop ups and banners started to appear while we surf the net. These are mostly whole pages but sometmes half pages, somtimes they are half blank pages. Typically they are advertising debt problems services or offering special deals on products. I have windows XP and I am using IE7. I run Ad-aware scan daily and remove cookies as recommended. I have Norton anti-virus; the latest scan showed no viruses. I also have installed Simply Sup Trojan remover. A general scan did not reveal any malicious elements. I also recently downloaded and run IObit Advanced Window Cleaner. The pops still appear. I read through previous forums about the possibility that this may be linked to Smiley software, which was earlier downloaded on our Windows Messenger. I removed this; the bannesr are still there. Any help in dealing with this will be appreciated. I searched earlier forums but could not find a similar case.

With thanks
William

skidzy 23:43 04 Feb 2007

Google toolbar has a popup blocker as does IE7,check IE7 popup blocker is enabled.In IE7/tools popup blocker. click here

gudgulf 23:45 04 Feb 2007

Try a scan with the free version of SuperAntispyware click here

And AVG 7.5 antispyware click here

Between them they will miss very little.

I suspect you have installed an unnecessary toolbar or picked up a rogue program.

william16 22:27 06 Feb 2007

Hi Skidzy and gudgulf

I downloaded SuperAntispyware and did a sweep. It looks like it worked.

Many thanks, most appreciated.

Best regards

William

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?