Pop ups asking for credit card details

lizhy 14:46 07 Apr 2007

I have a problem when I try to pay for something online using a Visa card. Having filled in my details on the vendors website, I then get a pop up box proclaiming to be "Visa Card Verification" It is pre-populated with my card number, but asks me to fill in end date, CVV no and ATM pin "for security reasons" I close the popup without supplying any of the details and the transaction then completes ok. This has happened 3 times, using reputable sites (Next, M&S)I have tried informing both the vendors and my visa card issuers, but neither seem interested. I have sumised that it must be something running on my PC as I today used one of the same websites from my work laptop and didn't get the popup.
I have Symantec virus guard stuff installed and running on my PC and it doesn't pick up anything. If I startup Task Manager whilst the popup is in place it just shows it as being an iexplore process.

How can I find out what / where it is and get rid of it ???

try running a squared (free version) contains the full scanner and database very thorough search and doesnt upset norton
click here

beynac 15:03 07 Apr 2007

Are you sure that it's asking for your PIN?

If not, then this procedure is valid (click here for details).

If it is, then it is definitely wrong - the valid procedure does NOT ask for your PIN and, of course, you should never divulge it.

beynac 15:07 07 Apr 2007
  mocha 15:14 07 Apr 2007

If you use the web regularly it is in your interest to have anti virus software, which you have. A Firewall, I dont know if there is one in your Norton package and at least two anti-spyware programs, Keep all up to date with their definitions and do regular scans on your computer.

adman 2 has mentioned a squared, this is a good one, also try one of these

click here

click here

jolorna 15:16 07 Apr 2007

is it asking for your pin or security No which is the last 3 digits on the back of the card

BRYNIT 15:23 07 Apr 2007

If it's a Barclaycard Visa you are using this will explain what the popup is about. click here

if the transaction completes after you close /ignore the window, then it points to a nasty

bremner 15:50 07 Apr 2007

Ditto for RBS cards click here

Noldi 16:00 07 Apr 2007

Is the Visa Card page https://.
If so this should be a secure page.

Noldi

lizhy 19:27 07 Apr 2007

Thanks for all of your prompt repsonses. In answer to several questions, regarding it maybe being a valid request from the likes of "verified by visa" - I have regsitered with (and used) this service before and I initially thought that the pop up was from them. But it specifically asks for a CCV2 (sic) number and ATM Pin number - which rung alarm bells with me. I checked on the Verified by Visa website - and the process they describe does not correspond to the details I was asked for. I also checked with Barclays (who are the card issuers), and other than saying I should never give out my ATM pin number they weren't really interested in helping. That I can close the popup without entering any details and the transaction still completes okay also leads me to believe that it can't be valid.
I do have Norton and a firewall running, but I will now download squared and see if that finds anything - I'll let you know.
Thanks again, and a Happy Easter to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?