pop ups

oxparks 11:04 14 Jun 2010

I have popups blocked which works generally. However I currently have a couple of irritating popups I cannot control.

The first is Avast which I use for security. Everytime it blocks a threat a popup appears and I get a voice telling me it has been blocked. How do I turn this off?

Secondly, I have a popup which appears only at start up, telling me an update has failed. It is not clear what update although from the symbol it looks like a sony ericsson mobile phone. It says check your internet connections and make sure settings are not blocking it. Again how can I both check out what this update actually is and then update if needed?

Many thanks!

birdface 11:06 14 Jun 2010

Have a look at this for Avira.

click here

birdface 11:07 14 Jun 2010

Oops got a bit mixed up sorry.Ignore last.

T I M B O 11:12 14 Jun 2010

If you have version 5.0 of avast, then double click on the orange ball by the clock.
1) When Avast then opens, on the top right click "settings"

2) On left click "Sounds"

3) Delete tick mark from "Enable avast! sounds"

T I M B O 11:18 14 Jun 2010

If you are experiencing pop up from mobile software, then check the "msconfig" and delete anything relation to your mobile.

oxparks 12:46 14 Jun 2010

Hi Timbo,

Thanks v much for the ideas. Good news, I have managed to stop the Avast voice message which is a great improvement. However can't see how to turn off the actual popup which is still appearing in bottom right hand corner.

many thanks again

oxparks 10:29 15 Jun 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying urgently to remove an Avast popup window telling me a threat has been blocked.

Thanks!

T I M B O 10:37 15 Jun 2010

Double click the orange ball by the clock.

Click settings top right.

Click updates on the left.

On the right you will see some items such as ENGINE & VIRUS DEFINITIONS, well further down you will see "Details" to the right of that is a drop down arrow
and then you shall see what's called "Update Options" & there are 3 tick marks also, delete the middle tick for "Show notifications box after automatic update"

This should clear things up for you...

T I M B O 10:48 15 Jun 2010

I like the fact that Avast has the odd pop up, this can be a good indication that it's working & gives you some peace of mind.

I totally agree about the update notification, it's not as if the voice is a nice one.

oxparks 11:44 15 Jun 2010

Hi Timbo,

Huge thanks for very quick response. I have just done that so hopefully the popup will disappear. You are right, in a sense it is quite comforting to know it is working, but I find it just too irritating!

On the strange phone popup I clicked on your link to mobile but it just took me to o2 so wasn't much clearer. This, I am pretty sure, is a sony ericsson pop up and I am with orange. When the popup arrives it gives an error code which means nothing to me. I will note it down when I next restart in case it is relevant.

Again many thanks!

T I M B O 12:08 15 Jun 2010

Were all here to help,,, team effort ;-))

Happy surfing.

If this issue is complete, don't forget to sign it off as solved/complete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?