Pop-ups

bluto1 21:07 13 Oct 2006

Every time Avast updates I get this pop-up and an American voice (can`t be Uncle Bill) telling me that Avast is updating, followed by a further pop-up in the middle of my screen detailing what`s been added. I`ve had a look in the archives for an answer to this intrusive problem without success. Can anyone give me the remedy to getting rid of this. All help appreciated.

Kate B 21:11 13 Oct 2006

I don't use Avast so I'm only guessing but there must be an option somewhere in the Preferences or Options to turn it off.

Jackcoms 21:23 13 Oct 2006

To turn off sounds:

In Avast go to Settings; Sounds and tick 'Disable Avast Sounds'.

I assume the pop-up you refer to is the blue one from the Task Bar to confirm that the latest anti-virus definition has been installed.

I can't find a way to turn it off; but I would have thought it a good thing to know when Avast has been updated.

Jackcoms 21:29 13 Oct 2006

Found it! To turn OFF the pop-up after an auto update:

Go to Settings; Update (Basic). Click on 'Details' and un-tick the 'Show sliding box after Automatic Update' box.

bluto1 21:33 13 Oct 2006

You`re quite right about knowing when the update is made, but when I`m typing up to 100 and more pages a day it`s quite intrusive and it interrupts the thought pattern.

bluto1 21:36 13 Oct 2006

I`ll give it a go. I`m a slow typist so our messages crossed. Honestly!

bluto1 21:42 13 Oct 2006

Many thanks, now we`ll have to wait for the next update. Cheers.

Jackcoms 21:45 13 Oct 2006

now we`ll have to wait for the next update"

Ah, but if you've turned off sounds and turned off pop-ups how will you know when it's been been updated?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?