pop ups

Jane doe 19:11 28 Dec 2003

Hi lads. Been away from my puter over the hols but now when I got it switched on I keep getting pop ups. It says they are from Messenger Service. If I close them down a bigger one pops up. I cant get rid of them at all. Now I dont have msn messenger installed I removed it ages ago following the advice given in here. I also have a pop up blocker running but it still happens so I reckon its some kind of malicious code Ive picked up somehow when I downloaded my 100+ emails, mostly spam. How do I get rid of it please? Ive run adaware and spybot but its still there. Thanks Jayne.

VoG II 19:13 28 Dec 2003
  Jane doe 19:26 28 Dec 2003

Thanks VoG I have downloaded the file and clicked disable messenger service...but the pop ups are still there....or do I have to reboot or something? Thanks and happy Holidays. Jayne.

Jane doe 19:35 28 Dec 2003

Hi again VoG. In task manager I have found that csrss is the culprit. If I click end process it just starts a pop up attack again and I get the message THIS IS A CRITICAL SERVICE AND CANNOT BE SHUTDOWN. Under Applications it does say that messenger 'is running in background' but I thought I had got rid of MSN ages ago. I remember typing in a line of code that someone sent me with disable on the end to get rid of it. Or am I missing something here? Thanks Jayne.

Indigo 1 19:55 28 Dec 2003

There are many ways to stop pop-ups, I use Zone Alarm which is a firewall click here

You can also use the free Naviscope which is an excellent browser accelerator (IMHO) click here

VoG II 20:02 28 Dec 2003

To remove Windows Messenger Remove Windows Messenger

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

Jane doe 20:09 28 Dec 2003

Indigo 1 thanks but I have zonealarm installed
VoG thanks again have done as you said and rebooted and its gone. Thanks. XX Have a good new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?