POP 3 Email accounts with Broadband

Cliff_W 17:14 15 Feb 2004

I've recently had NTL Broadband installed and I was using my Freeserve POP3 account nicely until I had to ghost my PC. Since I no longer need my Dial up modem I haven't installed this but now I can't send emails using Outlook and my SMPT/POP3 account. (I can receive fine just not send)
I keep getting a system administrator message 550 or 440 i think.
Is there a way of still using the freeserve no ties account for email whilst still using broadband from NTL? I can't stand the NTL world email account and would much rather keep the Freeserve email address.

Can anyone help?

joelmb 17:17 15 Feb 2004

Yes you should be able to use it as before, but try changing the smtp outgoing email address to smtp.ntlworld.com

Hope this helps!

joeltr 18:03 15 Feb 2004

i, like you went for ntl, and i couldnt stand it either, (freeserve also), you can create email accounts with with msn, it works fine, good luck.joel.

Cliff_W 18:26 15 Feb 2004

I really want to keep my freeserve account and use it as i was doing (through Outlook) when I had a dial up connection.

Will changing the SMTP address to smtp.ntlworld.com mean that my emails will still appear to come from my freeserve email address or not?

joeltr 18:38 15 Feb 2004

sorry cliff_W but i let my freeserve account lapse, it stops working after 30 days, and i never tried to recover it as i am using msn,so im sorry i dont know,

Clint2 18:40 15 Feb 2004

Only one outgoing SMTP server needs to be specified even if you have several e-mail accounts.

deadneat 18:41 15 Feb 2004

PostCast Server is a free server program that enables you to send messages directly from your computer. When you install it, it turns your computer into outgoing mail server. This is a perfect solution. click here
I have a wires only BT connection & this works great. It looks like mail comes from freeserve. You need to dial in every 3 months to keep freeserve current or reinstate account when it stops. Hope this helps

Cliff_W 20:36 15 Feb 2004

Joelmb - Your suggestion works! Well done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?