pooter cant "see" my hard drive

bigboab y 20:11 13 Jan 2006

Installed a 40gig Western Digital hard drive as slave to my existing Maxtor 40 gig hard drive (set as master) On boot up,it "see's" the slave and in device manager it also "see's" it... but left clicking on "My computer" the only hard drive showing is the master drive. How do I find the slave?? Where HAS it gone?? Thanks in anticipation.

woodchip 20:15 13 Jan 2006

If you are XP? right click "My Computer" choose Manage\Disc Management you should see the new drive it needs setting up in there

bigboab y 20:44 13 Jan 2006

Woodchip..once again many thanks..that worked a treat!!! One more question..is it worth converting the FAT32 master drive to NTFS like wot the slave is..or are they quite happy working together? If the answer is yes ,how do I do it? SOOO many questions.. so little time :-)

VoG II 20:47 13 Jan 2006

It doesn't matter that they are different but there are many reasons why NTFS is better.

click here to convert but note that there is no going back without reformatting.

bigboab y 20:55 13 Jan 2006

Read that link...muchos pitfalls I think.. I'll stick with what I've got .. at least it works..once again Woodchip many thanks .. your a star!! First time your in East Kilbride I'll buy you a pintortwo.. oops maybe your a womb-an..Ok a sweet sherry it is ...:-)

VoG II 20:57 13 Jan 2006

I think he'd prefer a welding kit, actually :o)

woodchip 21:02 13 Jan 2006

Thank's very much for Spurring him in the right direction

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?