poor wireless reception

sparksiemark 17:02 11 Jan 2010

Hi could anyone help me?
I am relatively new to computers and internet.
I have got a wireless router in my living room and my new pc is connected ok to this by wireless, that isn't the problem.
My old computer is now in the kids bedroom and it gets a very poor wireless signal. I have seen an advertisement for a AV CAT6 NETWORK LEAD (RJ45 Plug to RJ45 Plug... CAT5e wiring... Gold plated contacts.... Separated twisted pairs to reduce cross talk) which is 30m long.
Would this be ok to use to connect the computer in bedroom to router in room?
Sorry about length of message.
Thanks.

FreeCell 17:48 11 Jan 2010

Assuming that the old computer has a network port and it's within 30 metres of the router then it should do the job.

Wireless signals can be affected by a number of things but have a look at the following for a few things that you might do to improve your poor reception.

click here

sparksiemark 17:49 11 Jan 2010

The old computer is 27.5 metres away from router and when it was in living room, i had it wired to the router.
So you think it would be ok? It will cost me around £15 for the lead.

FreeCell 17:25 12 Jan 2010

Yep should be fine. You may find a Cat5e cable cheaper than the Cat6 which you quote. Cat6 is backward compatible with Cat5 but you won't need its capability so just a Cat5e would be fine. 30m length can be had for around £12 (plus VAT and P&P maybe)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?