Poor sound with satellite speakers

frustrated_user 18:53 07 Nov 2009

I've just liberated my Altec Lansing speaker system from the old, dead PC

It's basically two satellite speakers plus a bass box. It's a good piece of kit, except there's no individual control over the bass, which is a bit overwhelming. I use Media Player, which does have an equaliser, but this tends to be pretty ineffective. Of course, this is no use with Spotify and the like

So, can anyone recommend any software (preferably free!) to get round this? I did have something before with a load of pre-sets (Living Room, Theatre, "Sewer Pipe" etc) but can't remember what this was... (possibly something with a previous sound card?)

Any advice appreciated

eedcam 19:14 07 Nov 2009

Usually there is something with your soundcard like sound manager or the likes have you had a look in control panel

frustrated_user 19:27 07 Nov 2009

No, nothing but simply "Sound" :-(

And nothing within that to "tweak" anything

Forgot to mention that I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, running Vista with a Conexant high definition Smartaudio 221 soundcard

eedcam 22:22 07 Nov 2009
  eedcam 22:23 07 Nov 2009

Might be worth a trawl through this if you have;nt already
click here

frustrated_user 23:28 07 Nov 2009

Already have :-( Apparently my drivers are all up to date

Isn't there something out there, software-wise, that can change the quality of the playback?

cocteau48 18:57 08 Nov 2009

Sound reproduction on my Media Player was OK but became atrocious when I introduced a bass box and satellite speakers.

Try another media player - for starters click here

Soundbase click here also has a lot of tweakable sattings.

I get perfect reproduction on everything except Windows Media Player and nobody could ever explain why!

frustrated_user 19:16 08 Nov 2009

Thanks for this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?