Poor quality video on broadband

justjill 20:02 14 Oct 2005

Hello.

We have recently got 1Mb broadband (from Tiscali, in case it's relevant) and everything seems fine with it except that video streaming is very poor quality - the best way I can describe it is it looks like a photo that's had its colours seriously reduced in Photoshop and then been subjected to some awful, trippy filter. The videos we're trying to watch only require 256kbps to view and according to the broadband status (when you click on the flashing monitors on the bottom right) the speed we have is 1.1Mbps. We are using a proper RJ11 cable and ADSL filter and everything is set up correctly (phone socket in wall > ADSL filter > RJ11 cable > modem > PC) so we can't work out what the problem is. We have been able to view music videos on the Tiscali website without this problem and my husband has been able to view the videos Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks.

Jill

justjill 20:16 14 Oct 2005

I had to rush off before I'd finished that post and my husband thought he was doing me a favour by posting it for me. The last bit should read:

We have been able to view music videos on the Tiscali website without this problem and my husband has been able to view the videos at work without problems. Can anyone shed any light on this?

That should make more sense now!

Jill

johnnyrocker 20:49 14 Oct 2005

the flashing monitors at 1.1 meg is the connection speed between your pc and modem not your internet speed click here and run a speed test for the true connection speed you have.

what player are you using?

johnny.

justjill 21:00 14 Oct 2005

Thanks, Johnny. These are the results of the speed test:

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 829 Kbps (actual) 895 Kbps (true)
Upstream 234 Kbps (actual) 252 Kbps (true)

Does that seem right?

We're using Windows media player. I assume it's the latest version as the PC is only a few weeks old.

Jill

johnnyrocker 21:12 14 Oct 2005

it might not be as computers are manufactured a while before sale. one of the best players to use is vlc from videolan.com or a dvx from dvx.com. also are you allowing the content to fully buffer before playing?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?