Poor quality pictures on screen

IJD 21:43 11 Sep 2005

I downloaded some family wedding photos from the web but the quality is poor - the photos appear pixilated. I run windows xp sp2 with 384mb of ram. My display resolution is 800x600 true color (32 bit). The photos are displayed perfectly on other computers. What am I doing wrong?

gudgulf 22:39 11 Sep 2005

Try increasing your screen resolution to view the photos.......if the image is having to be scaled down to be viewed at a lower resolution than its native size that can cause it to be pixelated.

DieSse 00:40 12 Sep 2005

Are you sure you downloaded the real pictures, and not "thumbnails" (which would be at a very low reslution).

If you care to contact me by email and send me a sample picture, I will look at it for you.

Changing your display resolution is not the answer, if other pictures look OK on your screen, then it's somthing about the pictures that is odd - not the display.

IJD 19:03 12 Sep 2005

I viewed the photos of my niece's wedding from the website click here. They appear perfectly on my brother-in-law's computer but are not very sharp on mine. Some are very dark even though I have my screen set to maximum brightness. I have tried increasing the screen resolution but with no success.

john-232317 20:14 12 Sep 2005

That is a buy your photos here site, they probably put small images on purpose, so that they dont look good when you download them.

I downloaded one and zoomed in once and it started pixilating then.

DieSse 23:33 12 Sep 2005

I too downloaded one - at 200% zoom it was noticeably pixellated. The pictures are also a tad on the dark side, but not, in my view, excessively so.

They are very heavily compressed - they run out at at around 28-30Kb per image when downloaded - this is so that the web site can operate at a reasonable speed.

As dadyassa siad - they keep the quality down to encourage you to get prints (which you should expect to see at a much higher quality, assuming they've been uploaded at higher quality) - and to keep the speed of the site acceptable (it is commendably fast).

The darkness I can't account for - are you using a TFT or a CRT monitor?

So my conclusion is that it's the pictures that are the cause of your problems - not you equipment.

Is your brother-in-laws computer where they came from originally? - if so then you might be viewing higher quality copies.

BRYNIT 00:53 13 Sep 2005

If you click on the thumbnail image a larger picture will open. If you save the picture and open it the size will be 1"x1.5" the photos appear pixilated when enlarged.

I tried MS Paint and Paint shop pro (Paint shop pro gave better pictures).

Open Ms Paint go to image/attributes and resize to 640x512 pixels about 5.5”x4.25” go to web page click on small image this will open a larger picture, right click on picture/copy go back to paint Edit/paste drag the image to size of page.

Paint shop pro right click and copy the picture from the web page, in PSP past as new image the picture size will be 5.5"x4.25" you can then resize the picture. If you do not have Paint shop Pro you can download a trial copy from click here. It is a large file.

Some of the pictures look as though they have been taken from a distance and the quality will not be as good, even at 5.5"x4.25" the photos will appear pixilated.

DieSse 02:11 13 Sep 2005

"If you save the picture and open it the size will be 1"x1.5""

This is a misunderstanding of what *size* is. The larger (ie clicked on) pictures are 400x300 pixels. This is 120K pixels - compare this with a normal budget camera today is (say 3M pixels - ie 25 times more pixels!). The size of the image then depends on what screen you view it - 400 pixels on an 800x600 display is half the width of the display - on a 1280x1024 disply, it's only a third of the width, so smaller on the screen.

What size you actually see on the screen is also a unction of any zoom applied - many programs apply zoom automatically (without asking). Zoom is not the same as Resizing. - which actually changes the number of pixels in the image. The new pixels are merely interpolated (ie calculated from the existing ones). However if you resize one of the 400x300 images above to 800x600 you will get a picture with less pixellation than simply zooming the original.

It will stil be somewhat blurred (you can't add any more information back into a compressed picture) - but for a given displayed size you'll see less pixellation (because there actually are more pixels - not just the same number of larger pixels)

I hope all that's slightly clearer than mud!

Wak 11:57 13 Sep 2005

The following link won't help with your picture problem but it will help you to reset your Display values correctly (Contrast/ Brightness).
click here

IJD 22:37 13 Sep 2005

Many thanks to you all for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?