Poor internet speed when tablet and PC sharing my router

stlucia2 11:34 16 Jan 2015

Some months ago I asked a question here about my PC seemingly conflicting with my tablet when it comes to accessing my router. Thanks to the responses then, I don't remember having had the IP address conflict again.

But what's happening these days is that internet is often very, very slow on my tablet when my PC is also in use. My PC is linked to my router by cable; the tablet by WiFi. Is this slowness likely to be a function of my connection to the outside world (regular copper telephone line), the telephone exchange, or my wireless router (Netgear DG834G)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 16 Jan 2015

Is this slowness likely to be a function of my connection to the outside world (regular copper telephone line), the telephone exchange, or my wireless router (Netgear DG834G)?

you will only get a certain bandwidth into the property which is shared when boh machines in use, so heavy usage with one machine i.e. streaming a film will certainly slow the other.

A speed test using the PC will tel you if the outside influences you mention are causing a problem.

wee eddie 12:16 16 Jan 2015

Simples:-

1Machine = Full speed. 3 Machines = 1/3rd speed.

Of course, it's not quite as simple as that

stlucia2 14:13 16 Jan 2015

OK, that makes sense guys. My wife, who's the tablet user while I'm on the PC, is usually looking at sites which either contain loads of images, or are heavy on ads :-(

The speed checker in your link, Fruit Bat, is indicating 3Mbps for download speed, but can't register an upload speed because "Sorry our servers are busy". The dial graphic was showing 1Mbps or less before that message appeared.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:51 16 Jan 2015

it will vary on time of day etc. so worth trying several times through the day.

3 is quite slow for mid afternoon if your on standard broad band in an urban area double that should be expected. No wonder your struggling.

stlucia2 17:14 16 Jan 2015

OK, I got 3.9/0.8 when I tested just now. And clicking on the option to check speeds in my area, the 3.9 seems to be not far off average for our suburban area. So it seems like it's just the infrastructure -- not my router or my isp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?