poisoned message

Muergo 12:15 08 Aug 2010

I have received an e-mail from Saga holidays that has screwd up Outlook Express.

Each time I try to access it or delete it, the program freezes.

Does not happen with any other messages.

Apart from inconveniently deleting all of my Inbox, is there anything I can do.

I have run ASC, Malwarebytes etc but nothing shows up

Sea Urchin 12:40 08 Aug 2010

In OE go to the File menu - click Work Offline. Close OE and then open it again and try to delete the offending message. Don't forget to deselect Work Offline afterwards.

lotvic 13:13 08 Aug 2010

Try this:
First you need to 'show hidden files and folders'
Open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > and put dot in 'show hidden files and folders' click on 'Apply' and 'OK'

With Outlook Express closed and only Desktop open:
rightclick My Computer > Explore > C:\Documents and settings>yourname>Local settings>Application
Data> Identities> {long folder name of numbers symbols and letters} > Microsoft> Outlook Express
in the right pane the .dbx folders will now be displayed (the emails will not be displayed just the folders that contain them)
Delete the Inbox (I am presuming that is where the Saga email is)
close back to Desktop and then open Outlook Express and a brand new empty Inbox will have been created.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 08 Aug 2010

This of course means you lose all your other E-mails

lotvic 13:16 08 Aug 2010

should have added that the old Inbox is now in your Recycle bin so empty your bin to be rid of the Saga email completely.

lotvic 13:18 08 Aug 2010

Well yes, but I would have presumed OP has moved all of the other emails out of the Inbox into other folders and Inbox now just contains the SAGA email.

Muergo 13:30 08 Aug 2010

I have not moved all inbox items yet, I was hoping there was a zap fix on the one message, there are too many others in inbox that need actioning.

But I guess I will have to switch those all to another file, a bit of a bind, about 50.

I tried to move the saga one to another file to kill it, but any action to it just freezes OE.

Thank you all for your input.

Sea Urchin 13:40 08 Aug 2010

Did you try going offline - if that works then you don't have to move any other messages.

sunnystaines 14:09 08 Aug 2010

as already said go offline or set outlook not to check for new messages. you should then be able to delete. had this a few times in the past when i had xp.

also try and access the email via your ISP web to check your mail online and delete there, that will stop the corupted download trying to enter your inbox and bringing the pc to a stand still.

woodchip 14:41 08 Aug 2010

Tried deleting the Message in Safe Mode Router disconnected before you start pc

Muergo 14:50 08 Aug 2010

Let me not waste any more of your time.
Everything OFFLINE now,

The bloody message is sitting there, won't let me view it now, tried to go to message then "Block sender etc but every time it freezes, BUT only Outlook Express, not the whole PC, but I only have one e-mail address and use OE all the time.

So I shall ignore it and when I have ploughed through all the messages I can then wipe the inbox as you described.

I shall send a message to Saga saying I am blocking their site, I cannot fathom what it is, it's never happened before,

Thank you all once again, please get on with Sunday and forget about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?