Pocket PC's

Enoch 10:50 27 Dec 2005

My Toshiba E570 has finally died on me after considerable daily use. Has anybody got a recommendation for a replacement Pocket PC.

I would like to possibly add a GPS system to it which works in most of Europe as well as in the USA.

Advice would be appreciated

Throbber 00:20 30 Dec 2005

Cheap & easy Palm Zire 72 works great with TomTom software.

Enoch 19:02 30 Dec 2005

Throbber

I have tried the Palm Zire and had problems linking my MS-Outlook to the Palm. All it would sync with was the archive part of MS-Outlook and not the current and nothing I did would allow the correct sync that I wanted so it was returned to the shop were it was bought and I got my money back.

I am now considering the "Mio 168 GPS Pocket PC", which, at first inspection, looks good

rdave13 20:16 30 Dec 2005

A Dell Axim perhapse.

Enoch 20:50 30 Dec 2005

Rdave13

Yes, the Dell Axim was another consideration as it also looks good. I was actually hoping for someone with first hand experience to comment. If not, I will eventually buy one and then post my opinion

rdave13 22:17 30 Dec 2005

Having looked through the books I have an "old" Dell Axim x5. Ancient to today's standard.(2003 model I believe.)Running the first Tom Tom gps and the only problem I find is that I let the batteries run down when not in use. Consecuently I have to reinstall everything and reconnect to the satellite!

My fault but annoying when an emergency 200 mile trip is called for.

Still recommend a Dell Axim model with Tom Tom...will get you there:even an older model.

rdave13 22:56 30 Dec 2005

Looks good but how much did your apps cost and how much to update?

pharte 23:11 30 Dec 2005

I have owned / used the ipaq 3850 and am now using the xdaII with tomtom installed.

These are both very similar units and the only niggle I have with the xda is that whilst using tomtom it takes up so much processor usage that you are regularly unable to answer the phone at the same time.

I am considering the ipaq 6510 and 6515 with built in gps reciever, only the software to buy then.

if you go for the cheaper ipaq / xda you will need to buy the software (tomtom navigator 5 bundled with a bluetooth reciever) or if you need a car holder there is a nice unit from holux which is a car holder / charger and reciever all in one (£80 ish) plus the software cost.

driving man 23:25 30 Dec 2005

Have a Look at the Medion MDPNA100 sold at Halfords for less than 200 pounds --- full UK and western Europe STREET mapping--car cabling usb connection supplid --active sync software-- Pocket Excell, word, W Media Player, Internet explorer Built in GPS which works on both my cars which have (wired) heated screens. Accepts notes by handwriting or typing. Inputting destination is a bit fiddly but I can say that it has never got us lost in France or Belgium. UK is supplied on card but other countries have to be downloaded from the supplid CD's - I like it so much that bought one for myself this year. Previously paid £375 for my wife's. Battery life approx 3 hrs -adapter plugs supplid for use abroad

rdave13 23:40 30 Dec 2005

Afraid my head's buzzing with the new technology shown here by our forum friends! I bow to superior knowledge but I'll still use my old Dell and even older Tom Tom prog to get me round the UK.

First thing I learnt was if Tom Tom didn't show that there was a roundabout ahead; then go straight on.

New roads were no problem and new one way streets were also no problen as long as you looked at road signs as a matter of course.
All GPS navigation systems are out of date when you first buy them.
Get to know the PDA or dedicated GPS system and life is good.Remember thers's no better GPS system than sign posts.

namtaf 23:46 30 Dec 2005

dell axim, not sure of the model but a colleague just got one as an upgrade (I'm not due yet and am very jealous. Think he'd notice if it suddenly transformed into a ipaq 5555?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?