Plustek Optikpro U12 scanner and win2k

richierich 17:40 12 Oct 2003

downloaded the above drivers for above clicked on icon followed procedure and tried to install but doesnt work. No matter which way I do it, through device manager, or add scanner it says at the end that an error has failed installation, any ideas.

recap 18:08 12 Oct 2003

Try uninstalling the previous attempts at installation before trying again. You may have to do a regedit, if you do PLEASE DO A BACK UP FIRST!

richierich 18:15 12 Oct 2003

I wouldnt know what to do or how to start a regedit, any pointers.

Sam Witch 18:28 12 Oct 2003

regedit not for the faint hearted, it is where all the information is stored where programs find their instructions on how to operate, one error could knacker the whole system.

recap suggests running reg edit from the start menu 'run'and remove all references to plustec by highlighting them and pressing the delete key after doing an uninstall of all previous scanners and their software, including scan application which will store info as to which scanner to use. If you have problems the manufacturers site should give you some help.

woodchip 19:15 12 Oct 2003

Drivers from plustek are normally self extracting zip files. as above remove any reference to scanner in add remove and in Win Explorer if it?s a USB you should also remove USB from Device Manager then if it ask's foe windows CD you should not put it in but go to your down load and just double click the file to load the drivers. Then restart your computer

richierich 22:13 12 Oct 2003

I got a message saying access denied to a certain file, so I took that file off the old win 98 disc, then when it offered a selection of possible drivers i picked a different one to the one recomended and behold it works.
I suppose all is irrelevant unless youve got this scanner but it might help someone else.
Thanks for everyones input - the best the manufactures website offered was to try again- great eh.
Now ive got it working I cant remember what I needed it working for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?