Plugging in Wireless Router kills Phone

reccer 14:07 07 Apr 2009

Hi All,

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have Virgin broadband running on a desktop PC via a Speedtouch Modem dial up connection. Works fine. I have also got a Netgear Wireless router so am trying to get the wiresless wiorking on my laptop through this connection. My understanding is that to get this up and running I should plug in the wireless router to the adsl filter and this should get it started.

However, anytime I plug in the internet cable from the router to the wall socket via the filter it kills my phone line. I get the lights on the modem saying wireless and power on but no internet. I have contacted BT and they say there is no fault on the line.

Am I a) setting up the right way and b) any suggestions why the router kills the phone line? It is only a year old.

Many thanks for any help!

reccer

ambra4 14:37 07 Apr 2009

The Speed touch is a USB modem for a Single Computer to be connected to your ISP to allow access to the Internet

You cannot use a USB modem with a router; you need to get a modem with an Ethernet ports to connect the router like the

Linksys by Cisco ADSL2+ Modem, which have a USB and Ethernet port

click here

“I have also got a Netgear Wireless router”

What is the model # and is it a ASDL 2+ Wireless Modem / Router like this one

click here

Or is it a NETGEAR Wireless 54Mbps Cable/ DSL Firewall Router with 4 ports Switch which

require a separate ASDL modem like this one

click here

Plugging in this type of router to a phone line will kill the phone line as it is not meant to connect

to the phone line but a Ethernet port on a ASDL modem

ashleycardwell94 00:15 10 Sep 2009

you cannot worelessly bradcast dailup connections, WIFI is used for networking and/or broadband connection , ---no dail up

Zero_Hour 20:05 18 Sep 2009

Hi All,

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have Virgin broadband running on a desktop PC via a Speedtouch Modem dial up connection. Works fine. I have also got a Netgear Wireless router so am trying to get the wiresless wiorking on my laptop through this connection. My understanding is that to get this up and running I should plug in the wireless router to the adsl filter and this should get it started.

However, anytime I plug in the internet cable from the router to the wall socket via the filter it kills my phone line. I get the lights on the modem saying wireless and power on but no internet. I have contacted BT and they say there is no fault on the line.

Am I a) setting up the right way and b) any suggestions why the router kills the phone line? It is only a year old.

Many thanks for any help!

If you have Virgin broadband (cable) you should have got a modem with them that you connect an ethernet cable from modem to the router.

Unless you have ADSL which is what a BT line uses and you have to put an ADSL splitter in the telephone jack and use the adsl cable from the splitter to your modem, then the telephone cable (RJ11) to the telephone from the splitter to the phone.

Either way you should ring Virgin definetly not BT because they will know what kind of service you are on (Cable or ADSL) and give the advice you need.

Strawballs 20:55 20 Sep 2009

Please start your own thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017