Plugged in USB, PC turned off, no won't boot-HELP!

buel 13:40 02 Feb 2014
Answered

Hi, I have just tried a new DVD writer in my Dell desktop PC. It turned both the monitor and PC off, I unplugged it, they started up, I plugged it back in and they both went off again. I then unplugged it for the final time and now when I turn the PC on, the power light is yellow and the fan is on full blast but it doesn't boot. Please can I ask is the PC ruined or repairable?

buel 13:41 02 Feb 2014

Oh and it is a Vostro PC and runs XP.

buel 13:47 02 Feb 2014

one more thing, there is a scraping noise coming from the PC when it is turned on and the fans are on full blast. I would like a better word to describe it than tha, more like the noise a HD makes when it is on it's way out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 02 Feb 2014

a new DVD writer in my Dell desktop PC is this an internal writer? sata or IDE connection?

or is it a USB connected DVD writer?

buel 14:01 02 Feb 2014

Apologies, a USB connection. It had it's own power cable. Hope this helps?

buel 14:01 02 Feb 2014

I have tried booting up with no USB connections but still get the same result.

larchwoodmark 14:18 02 Feb 2014

i had something like this once,

when my mem card reader was 1st plugged in every thing died, no reboots helped or unplugging the device.

when i looked closely at the usb port i had used, a bent contact was found, shorting out the usb port. once straightened every thing worked fine

mark

buel 14:40 02 Feb 2014

Any ideas, Fruitbat, please?

BRYNIT 14:55 02 Feb 2014

You could try turning computer off disconnect power cable. Hold the power on button in for about a minute. Plug power cable back in and turn computer on.

buel 15:24 02 Feb 2014

Thanks but I've just tried that. Still yellow light and fans still on. Id love to know if this is terminal so I could stop panicking. :o(

buel 15:28 02 Feb 2014

One thing I did notice was that there was a message pop up before the PC crashed saying something like the software has been installed (Im guessing that it installed automatically when the USB DVD writer was installed?).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?