Plugged In Not Charging

d4hell 19:40 05 Sep 2009

I have an Inspiron 1525 running Vista Home edition which is just over 12 months old. I recently noticed the tool tip message when I hover over the power icon states ’Plugged In Not Charging’. Initially I assumed I needed a new battery however the new battery has the same message. I also changed the power supply alas to no avail...my laptop is now effectively a desktop as I cannot re-charge the battery.

I Googled 1525 Plugged In Not Charging and was surprised to see this is a common issue with no apparent fix. There are multiple 'voodoo fixes' like removing the battery a number of times while pressing the power button, blowing into the power inlet, turning the laptop upside down, etc all of which lead me to believe this is an issue with the DS2 LIO, the power connection or connection between the LIO and Motherboard or the Motherboard itself. When I disassembled my laptop I found the heat sink and fan sit adjacent to the LIO board which makes me believe the issue is being caused by overheating and as such is an inherent design flaw.

I would like to know if anyone else has any other theories or even better a fix as I do not expect a response from Dell especially as my 13 month laptop is out of warranty.

birdface 19:51 05 Sep 2009

Have you tried taking the battery off and taking the power socket off and pressing down on the start button for 10 seconds.Then attach everything again and see if there is any response.
I have read on here that with some things you actually have a 2 year warranty.Whether that would apply to your laptop I am not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone