Plug Question

Crazygeorge3 17:02 04 Dec 2007

Hello,
I recently purchased a new Power Supply, i hooked it up correctly but my computer did not boot. Assuming the part was faulty i sent off for a new one which arrived today. So i hooked it up again but still nothing. I noticed there are two sockets on the back, do i have to have a plug into each one? is that why it is not booting up?. I have a standard plug which plugs into the 3 pins however the other socket looks like it requires me to plug in a 3 pin connector.
Cheers

SANTOS7 17:11 04 Dec 2007

Is the PSU switched on...

on the back of your PSU there is one socket for the power lead a rocker switch for on/off and probably another switch for Voltage 110/240...

Graham. 17:36 04 Dec 2007

The other socket will be to supply power, eg. a monitor. Check the fuse in the mains lead.

Crazygeorge3 17:40 04 Dec 2007

On the back there are just:
2 Sockets: One with 3 pins and the other with 3 holes. The only switch there is is a small red one with 230/115v.
Thanks for the assisstance

Crazygeorge3 17:41 04 Dec 2007

It is not the fuse in the power lead as i am using it for my current psu. Oh great, this means there is an underlying problem.
Cheers

SANTOS7 17:44 04 Dec 2007

Whats the make/model of this PSU...

Crazygeorge3 18:19 04 Dec 2007

Its a WinPower 750W
click here
Went with the cheap option it seems, but i've tried two of these things now!

SANTOS7 18:31 04 Dec 2007

Did you have any issues before you bought this new PSU..
i'm struggling here unless the power connector inside PC is not sat properly...

Graham. 19:27 04 Dec 2007

Ignore the other socket, it's for a monitor. Is the red switch set to 230 volts?

I'm wondering if this is for an old style PC which had a switch to turn on the PSU, rather than a signal from the motherboard found today.

Crazygeorge3 19:32 04 Dec 2007

Hi guys, thanks for the assistance
The Computer is about 7 months old, and the psu is brand new. Yes the read switch is set to 230v also.
"power connector inside PC is not sat properly"
What exactly did you mean by this?

Graham. 19:47 04 Dec 2007

The problem seems to be the PSU is not turning on. To do this, it either needs a signal from the motherboard or a direct connection to the power switch on the PC.

If the first, the PSU must supply the m/b with power all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?