plug n play LaCie hard drive problem

lithium lad 15:21 10 Feb 2006

Please could anybody help with my problem,

I purchased a LaCie 250gb d2 extreme triple interface external h/drive (usb2 firewire 400 and firewire800) I have tried following the instructions about connecting usb etc but I cannot get the drive to be recognised by windows, the drive is plug and play!!
Under device manager it is showing as LaCie h/d with a yellow ? In the instructions on the disc it states it should be in the “universal serial bus controllers”

Having sent an e-mail to LaCie, I am still waiting a reply and not been able to phone the support line, tried 0207 872 0872 . Do they have a landline number?

Any help would be appreciated

Dell dimension 4600 2.8ghz
Windows xp home sp2

Diodorus Siculus 15:33 10 Feb 2006

click here

The number you gave is a landline number but not for end user support.

The click here above is their only end user support option

lithium lad 18:38 10 Feb 2006

thanks for the link, but i am still waiting for a reply that way (3 day's)

Hertz Van Rentyl 18:50 10 Feb 2006

If you have connected by USB it should be showing in the disk drives part of device manager with any other hard drives you have installed. There may be a "mass storage device" entry in the USB controllers part.

Hertz Van Rentyl 18:53 10 Feb 2006

Can you try it in another USB socket, leave switched off, boot computer and then turn on.

woodchip 19:01 10 Feb 2006

What is your Operating System? If XP the Windows should load drivers if Win98 or WinME then you will need to load drivers for it.

lithium lad 14:31 11 Feb 2006

thanks for the idea's
HERTZ nothing under USB controllers and tried another USB socket
WOODCHIP windows xp home sp2

also tried start > run > and type services.msc then ok scrolled down to see if plug n play was set to automatic which it was.

at the moment i have a £150 door stop,

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:29 11 Feb 2006

The only way to check its a dud is to try it in another comp. If the same happens then I would ask for a replacement.

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:32 11 Feb 2006

Do you have other USB devices that work alright, that should check out your USB drivers.

Minkey1 15:35 11 Feb 2006

lithium lad

I've got the same drive, using one of the FireWire connections. Unusually for an external drive, it had to be formatted before first use.

has this been done ?

Mike

Minkey1 15:39 11 Feb 2006

This is from the pdf file which came with it:

Tech Note: Windows Users! This LaCie
Hard Drive is formatted for the Mac
operating system, and you will need to
re-format the drive in order for it to
appear and operate under the Windows
operating system. See section 4.1.2.
Formatting And Partitioning Your LaCie
Drive - Windows Users for detailed
instructions.

If you bought it second hand I can email the pdf file to you if it helps, or it's available via click here

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?