Plextor DVD Writer: Out Of Warranty repair

Flopper 11:08 18 Feb 2006

Does anybody know where I can get an Out Of Warranty Plextor burner looked at, preferably repaired?
Plextor themselves seem reluctant to touch it based on the 'small print' on their website.
In a nutshell it will not burn and will not even read retail DVDs or CDs. I assume the laser has gone so would it be economically viable bearing in mind I only paid £30 for it some months ago, second hand?
As I stated in a previous posting this all seemed (coincidentally) to happen after I installed Nero 7. Before that it was perfect.

Sibbo 11:13 18 Feb 2006

If it were me, I would try uninstalling Nero 7 and revert back to whatever software I was using previously. If that didn't work, I would probably buy a new drive. As you said, it is second hand and new burners are dirt cheap. You could buy a new one for the price that you paid for your second hand one.

De Marcus™ 11:14 18 Feb 2006

It's simply not economical for anyone to repair a drive, especially when a new one costs around the £30 mark from the likes click here

Thats providing the drive is broken, have you tried a system restore to before the Nero installation?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:14 18 Feb 2006

It would not be worth the money even if you could find someone to look at it. Buy a new burner for under £30 click here

G

jakimo 19:50 18 Feb 2006

Download a copy of Plextor tools professional from the plextor site, you can then run some tests on the drive

Totally-braindead 19:54 18 Feb 2006

If it is the burner that is faulty and not something to do with Nero 7 then I'd just buy another drive, as the others have said it would cost you more to get it fixed than to buy a new one.

Flopper 19:57 18 Feb 2006

I will cut my losses and get another drive.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires