PLEEEASE REEEAD; e-mail hoax.

chocolate cake 23:39 05 Nov 2006

click here

Thought everyone would like to know that this e-mail scam recently surfaced in my inbox.

I know that it is an old scam but thought that everyone should be aware that it is doing the rounds again.

skidzy 23:47 05 Nov 2006

Same old story Chocalate,but i guess some will still fall for it !!

Forum Editor 00:09 06 Nov 2006

never seems to stop doing the rounds - it should get an award.

chocolate cake 00:31 06 Nov 2006

My friend has just contacted me quite upset. She obviously opened the email and thought it would be a great idea to pass the good news onto me.

Can somebody tell me what, if any nasties my friend is at risk from? It would at least ease her worries if I could tell her something positive.

Thanks.

Totally-braindead 00:34 06 Nov 2006

Shes not open to any nasties unless she answered them. Did she do that?

rodriguez 00:56 06 Nov 2006

People who have been victims of these scams usually get their own back by Scambaiting - click here - but this is a bit childish and shows their email address is active and goodness knows what. The best thing to do is to delete them. But if you reply to these emails, it will show your email address is live and will often end up with you receiving more crap from the Nigerian idiots who have nothing else to do with their spare time.

Totally-braindead 00:59 06 Nov 2006

Replying in my opinion is just asking for more of the same, better to just delete them.

Totally-braindead 01:03 06 Nov 2006

Sorry rodriguez that was what you said.

Too tired I think, away to bed.

chocolate cake 01:06 06 Nov 2006

She says that she didn't reply so I've told her not to worry and to get a good nights sleep.

I've heard about scambaiting but like you think that this merely invites more problems. I think that we'll both mark this near miss down as experience gained.

Needless to say she won't be forwarding any crap to me or to anyone else in future!

Thank you all for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone