Please Windows Defender any good?

AaNnDdYy 12:59 21 Mar 2006

because i am currently useing Z,A free and i see defender on a mates pc and from the stuff it does looks quite good but i dont want to uninstall and reinstall unless its worth it and there is some considerable change in security as i have heard that the windows fire wall is crap ,anyone please ,just an opinion will do ,!

vinnyT 13:10 21 Mar 2006

Zonealarm and MS defender are two different things.

ZA=firewall
Defender=anti-spyware

You can safely use the two on the same pc.

The windows built in firewall isn't necessarily terrible, but only blocks incoming, so if you already had/have an intrusion the firewall would not stop it from connecting to the net and doing what it is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.

sunny staines 13:13 21 Mar 2006

go for it, its on going monitoring for spyware.

AaNnDdYy 16:42 21 Mar 2006

cheers sunny i have tried to install it and it says that i need a newer version of windows installer ? at the mo on this pc i am using windows ME but it htought that it was compatible but iw as obviosly wrong how can i rectify this i have already dloaded all the updates and i still cant install ,,i always doubt my ability even though im a mechanic as with car diag as its always possible theres some thing im not doing right?
i dont know whyu i just like things to be right ya know!

AaNnDdYy 16:47 21 Mar 2006

i cant install it for some reason it say s that i need newer installer ,im running ME and have done all the updates and still cannot install it any clues or advice on how to get it install ed please ?????????????????

bjh 16:52 21 Mar 2006

Windows Me is a no go.

System requirements at

click here

Sorry!!

AaNnDdYy 16:54 21 Mar 2006

no bother thanks for geting back to me

AaNnDdYy 16:55 21 Mar 2006

do you have any good registry cleaners to recomend for win me please if poss??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?