Please save my life !!!

Paul33 16:10 05 Aug 2007

Have some serious problems here folks and need urgent help.

My XP Home machine was working just fine today when I received a "Java Update Available" message and a little instal icon on the bar at the foot of my desktop.

I clicked on it to instal and it eventually claimed instal had finished.

I then closed down the PC, had luck, went back to switch on and I can't get it to boot up.

It boots initially to the message that it hadn't shut down properly last time (which is wrong because it did !) and,when I click on boot as normal, it runs through to the Windows splash screen with blue loading bar and then, just as the various account logon icons should appear, it goes black for about three seconds and then reboots.

I tried selecting "last known good conig" but same result.

I tried "safe mode" but it just scrolls through a load of file names and then reboots again.

I don't have a boot floppy but I do have an XP CD from another machine. I booted via that and clicked on "R" for recovery console but that doesn't appear to go anywhere. It asks what I want to logon to, I select "2. C:/WINDOWS" and it just sits there with a command line prompt of C:/WINDOWS ...... am I supposed to do something ?

I did try typing "fixboot" but that hasn't changed anything.

The machine has two hard drives (C: and G:) and, above all else, I desperately need to access the data on G: drive.

Can somebody tell me how I can get into Windows and lower my stress levels ?!!!

Technotiger 16:14 05 Aug 2007

What other options does it give you when you click on "R"?

Paul33 16:17 05 Aug 2007

I think it was something like G:MINIT or something very similar ...... I can recheck if it is important.

VoG II 16:18 05 Aug 2007
  Technotiger 16:19 05 Aug 2007

Your life is saved - VoG™ is on the case!

Paul33 17:04 05 Aug 2007

Oh how I wish !!!

Followed all the instructions and everything went as described but ..... no change when I tried to boot up.

Still gets to where I lose the Windows splash screen where it hesitates on a black screen and then reboots.

Any more ideas ..... please ?

VoG II 17:07 05 Aug 2007

Try a repair click here

Paul33 17:20 05 Aug 2007

But, as I stated above, if I select "R" then I just get a question about where I wish to logon. I select C:\WINDOWS and just end up with a static c:\WINDOWS prompt ...... not what is shown in the link.

Paul33 17:27 05 Aug 2007

Sorry ...... ignore that.

I'm off to give it a try !!!

Paul33 17:49 05 Aug 2007

Okay, all seemed to be progressing okay with the repair until I got the message .......

"Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal Setup error. Contact your system administrator"

Help !!!

VoG II 17:52 05 Aug 2007

click here

This is very strange ... I would try unplugging everything except the essentials and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?