Please recommend a teenager-proof internet filter

Camille 21:19 07 Jul 2004

Having just read the history on my 15yr old's browser I am dismayed (to say the least) at the sites being visited. I need a filter which is as tamper-proof as possible. Can anyone recomend a (preferably free) app which is as secure as possible given a teenager's determination? I run XP Home.

Diodorus Siculus 21:22 07 Jul 2004

Next to impossible for someone who knows the way around windows.

click here is pretty good and free.

Camille 21:33 07 Jul 2004

seems to be some sort of compatibility issue with we-blocker and XP... any other suggestions? The easier (and least popular option) would be to move the pc to the living room! However, that would have to be a last resort. How teenager-proof are the likes of cyberpatrol?

Salinger 21:34 07 Jul 2004

This is not free but it's only about £12. Completely locks your computer until you enter the correct Password - also logs attempts to enter incorrect Passwords. Just tell the culprit that until you are satisfied that they will use it responsibly, then they are locked out!

Salinger 21:35 07 Jul 2004
  Dorsai 21:35 07 Jul 2004

Put the PC in question in a place where you can see what it is being used for. Take it out of the bedroom (back room, out of the way place) and put it in the TV room (family room, place where you spend most of your time), so it's not hidden from sight, (after all, all of us family members want to be able to surf).

If this is not liked, suggest that the person useing it contact BT and get their own BB connection installed, at their own expense, and pay for it them self too (i guess being a parent you pay for it anyway). After all You pay for it, and want to be able to use what you pay for too.

IMHO.

Diodorus Siculus 21:36 07 Jul 2004

Camille - sorry; I have only seen it on Win98 and it was ok.

Camille 21:40 07 Jul 2004

no problem - it looks like they're working on the issue, so it may be an option in the future

Charence 21:45 07 Jul 2004

click here is probably the best one I've come accross. I can't even get past it to check my e-mails!!

The filter mentioned by Diodorus Siculus is quite good. You may also want to click here

mammak 21:47 07 Jul 2004

Camille the very best of luck on this'My big two have left home now and surfing what ever rubbish on there own comps,
"which i paid for lol"
Only the baby left at home 7yrs old and more sense
than the big two put together,
So as a parent i know what its like, take care and all the best in your quest. Kind Regards Mammak.

Camille 21:47 07 Jul 2004

re-positioning would be a very last resort as my o/h hates computers, which is why it was moved to my bedroom. That said, we are in and out of the bedroom all the time which you might have thought would make it rather awkward. I would rather not confront her about what she's looking at as I suspect that would cause more problems that it would solve. She's fairly pc literate, but not excessively so. I basically need something that filters out all sex sites and that only I can control.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?