Please Recommend a GPU

User-361D919A-9369-49DD-BB21C57F113ABA43 13:19 13 Dec 2009

Hi I have a GIGABYTE 7VM333M-RZ motherboard. It has in board Graphics. The onboard GPU is a S3/VAI Unichrome KM400. Could you please recommend and ATI card for me. If not try nVidia.
Thanks
Here are the links for the:
GIGABYTE 7VM333M-RZ click here
S3/VAI Unichrome KM400 click here

My spec is:
2 GHz AMD Sempron CPU
256MB RAM (Upgrading to 2GB)
Win XP Home (Upgrading to Win 7 Home Premuim)
80GB HDD (Very Low)

Is it possible to get a GPU that supports DirectX 10.

Thanks

Are any of these GPUs compatible click here
click here

Is it possible to recommend any PCI Express 2.2 GPUs.
I know it's a little much to ask. Some people can work on AGP will others work on the PCI.
Thanks

Devil Fish 22:48 13 Dec 2009

it appears that your mobo is AGP x4 therefor you wouldnt be able to run a PCI-E card

Devil Fish thanks for telling me the information.I was wondering. Could you please recommend a GPU. nVidia or ATI.
Thanks
Same goes for everyone else who looks at this thread.

retep888 17:31 14 Dec 2009

AGP card click here supports DX10.1

Memory click here

In order to keep in pace with the new AGP and Win7 ,you may have to upgrade to this CPU (and heatsink?) click here

You need a good PSU of min 400W ,if not you may have to get this click here

Worth it or not,that's your choice.

Thanks.
If I were to use that card would I need to upgrade my CPU. How do you find out what Watt your PSU is. Also would I need to upgrade the RAM to use that GPU.

GaT7 19:24 14 Dec 2009

Good GPU suggestion by retep888. Although I'm guessing that your PSU will not be up to the job, so even more expenditure.

For the PSU rating, you'll have to open your PC case & look at the PSU's label. While you're there, measure the space available for the GPU - the HD 4650 has a large heatsink that may occupy 1-2 adjacent slots.

No, you don't need to upgrade anything else (except the PSU) to use the HD 4650.

May I ask why you're upgrading the GPU? A lower end one may suit your needs without the need for a PSU upgrade. G

Ofcourse you can ask why I'm upgrading my GPU
The reseason is I want to upgrade to Win 7 Premium. My Intergrated GPU doesn't support the Aero and it only has 32MB of video memory. Before splashing out on the money, if I bought more RAM would that increase the amount of video memory availible to the GPU.

Thanks for your reply.

GaT7 20:28 14 Dec 2009

Right, so it's not for any 3D gaming.

If yes, then a £35 card will do: GeForce 6200 256Mb / 512Mb click here (choose Super Saver delivery at checkout). This will not require a PSU upgrade either, & will fit in any standard height case (non-slim/non-lowprofile type). And they have their own dedicated video memory. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?