Please Lend Me Your PC All-Knowingness :D

Xacchaeus 21:39 24 Jan 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm new not only to this forum but to what seems like an infinitely complex world, the world of PC gaming itself.

With each day I'm falling deeper and more helplessly into the seductive idea of getting lost in another universe; shooters, horror, mmorpg's *drools at visions of Skyrim and Guild Wars II on ultra settings in the thought bubble above my head

I want to build a decent gaming rig, budget around $1,300 (+/-), but as you can probably imagine, I'm as experienced as a newborn guppy and don't know where to begin...

After weeks of researching (which I actually quite enjoyed), I've compiled these components in what I think may serve as a starting recipe for my dream machine, please, please be so kind as to guide me, rip it to shreds if you must, just lend me your gaming PC all-knowingness:

P.S. I've heard of this "overclocking" :) I wanna do that :D

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Deluxe WiFi Bluetooth SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0Mb

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz High Performance gaming RAM

Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX660 2Gb Overclocked GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

CPU: Quad-core i7 4770k 3.5Ghz CPU (Overclocked to 8 x 4.6 Ghz)

Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator 6 heatpipe dual fan CPU cooler

HDD: 1Tb WD HDD 6 64Mb + Kingston digital SSD

Power Supply: Corsair gaming series GS600 80+ high performance PSU

Soundcard: Please recommend. I also enjoy some audio production and track mixing.

So, those are the basic elements. I'll be damn grateful if anyone can jump in and help me out. What's missing? Can I get away with any cheaper, lower level parts? Do I need to consider certain elements of a higher caliber? Am I living in a dream world thinking I can spend just $1,300 (+/-)?

Thanks so much for anything you can tell me. :D

Kind Regards Xacchaeus the Unknowing (PC-related stuff)

woodchip 22:07 24 Jan 2014

First before anything buy a CPU that's fast enough without overclocking, as it creates instability.

Xacchaeus 22:27 24 Jan 2014

Ohhh so you're saying I should get one fast and powerful enough that overclocking isn't necessary? Ok that makes sense. I suppose I'd rather spend the extra and do away with the risk of instability and overheating. Thanks!

:D Thanks so much for your advice, it's greatly appreciated :D

Xacchaeus 08:14 25 Jan 2014

Thanks for the link mate but I know where the forum is cause I posted there :)

Yes I posted on both forums at the same time for the sake of reading comparative opinions and suggestions of Uk-available parts. There are sometimes components from the US which more than likely I won't be able to get here or at least not for another 3 months or so.

I'm not in the US. I'm a South African, which is why I needed suggestions and prices of parts and components from the Uk as well which are potentially more readily available to me.

Thanks for the response though

Xacchaeus 13:15 25 Jan 2014

Thanks man :)

Yeah I think I'm about ready to get building but I'm gonna just keep this thread up for a bit longer in case I get some Uk part suggestions. As it is the parts suggested so far are awesome but unfortunately too awesome as some of them are impossible to find in this crap hole.

Xacchaeus 13:16 25 Jan 2014

By crap hole I mean SA btw

Xacchaeus 22:07 25 Jan 2014

Sorry but something's bothering me... I feel like I was a bit of a dick earlier when all you were doing is being helpful and notifying me that I had gotten some answers over on the other forum. Sorry if I seemed like an asshole. And thanks man I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and help me out :)

nickf 23:09 25 Jan 2014

Right , save money , buy an i5 ivy Bridge CPU and a Z77 MoBo . Haswell chip will not give you any advantage in a gaming rig . Use the money saved to get better GPU , GTX770 would be ideal . Try and get a SSD too , well worth the extra cash , wont speed up game play but things load SOOO much faster . Try and get MoBo , CPU , RAM , and cooler as a bundle from one supplier , they will overclock for you , make sure everything is compatible and test bundle for you .

Mr Mistoffelees 15:46 26 Jan 2014

To add to what Nickf says, it seems to be generally accepted that core i7 offers no meaningful advantage over Core i5 for gaming. Using money saved for a better graphics card is good advice and will serve you better.

Xacchaeus 21:43 26 Jan 2014

nickf, Mr Mistoffelees, thanks guys! I'm pretty much ready to start building this thing I think.

Will def go for the 770 and also the i5 instead of the i7. Also decided on the non-wireless MoBo. Will try get everything from a single supplier who will ensure compatibility :)

With such a machine, will I be able to run demanding games like Crysis 3 on high-ish settings?

Also, what should my cooling system be like? How many fans/what types do I need to invest in?

Thanks hugely guys!! :D

Mr Mistoffelees 14:36 27 Jan 2014

The CPU cooler you have listed should do the job nicely. I believe the key to good cooling is good case ventilation. I have a Zalman Z9 case with 3 extra Sharkoon, quiet 120mm fans. Heat is not an issue for me, with an i5 3570K running at 4.42GHz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 pro. Only stress testing (Prime95 to check for stable overclock) gets the CPU temperature much over 40C.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone