Please how do i get rid of start-up items?

buel 11:09 15 Feb 2009

Hi there, please can anyone tell me how to get rid of items that appear in the bottom righ hand of my laptop screen AND some from the bottom left hand side? Oh and what is the diffreence please?

Technotiger 11:11 15 Feb 2009

Those on the bottom left, just right click and delete.

Those on the right, right click and see if the program has a Preferences for setup, often one can prevent the icon appearing in the System Tray that way.

Technotiger 11:13 15 Feb 2009

Or if the icon in the right-hand (System Tray) is from a System item, such as Sound/Volume you can remove the icon by going to Start>Control Panel>Sounds and unticking the tray icon option.

rawprawn 11:23 15 Feb 2009

WinPatrol will let you easily decide what you want to start in your system tray and much more as well as protecting your computer.
It is one of the best free programs about.
click here

Miké 11:40 15 Feb 2009

TrayIt a free program click here will allow you to hide tray icons that either have no built in 'hide tray icon' feature or will not stay hidden using the 'hide inactive icons' feature of windows.

Obviously this does not stop the program running just hides any notification area icon.

provider 2 11:47 15 Feb 2009

The blue bit all along the bottom is called the Taskbar. Right-click for the options menu.

Extreme right is the time and the Notification Area which shows stuff currently running. Modify this using right-click Start> Properties> Tskbar> Customise.

On the left Start, then Quick Start items. A single click will start these progs and you can drag and drop items there.

(Changing start-up items is a different question, to which you have received different answers, of course.)

birdface 12:36 15 Feb 2009

buel.Most of those on the right hand side start with the computer.Any of them not needed to run at start up go to Run and Type in . msconfig.start up.And untick any that should not run at start up.Apply Ok.Reboot a box will appear just tick the little square ok and it will not show again.Make sure you do not remove your security programs.That should stop them from showing.

provider 2 12:44 15 Feb 2009

Hi buteman,

Just wondering if msconfig isn`t too powerful a tool in the hands of someone ... not very accustomed to fiddling with XP.

Better to use Widows Defender`s limited function alternative, perhaps? Maybe not ...

birdface 13:29 15 Feb 2009

If it means you have to download Windows Defender probably better with msconfig.But I agree with you msconfig is not for the learner,but you can always go back and retick anything that may be needed.
I only say that as I have never liked Defender and would not recommend anyone to use it.Like Norton it has a bad image.About 50% of folk like it and 50% dont.A bad average.But you are right I never thought about there inexperiance in removing anything and they may be better waiting for one of there family or friends to help.
Not sure if you use Winaso but that is great for removing start up programs. I am sure there are others but that is the one that I use sometimes.

Sea Urchin 13:36 15 Feb 2009

A slightly softer option is using the Tools menu in CCleaner - using the Disable function (NOT Delete). And they can be easily re-enabled again if necessary.

Taff™ 13:44 15 Feb 2009

I agree with Sea Urchin. Any alterations made in ccleaner are reflected in msconfig and it`s much easier to see the details of each program. You should google any program you don`t recognise and you`ll generally find out whether the program is required to run at start up. (Look in the file details column, not the Program column and google the filename at the end of the path.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?