Please help,no sound on some things!

jamtarts 23:02 27 Mar 2007

I don't have sound on the start-up or shut down screen,i also don't have sound on the games that are already installed in windows,plus no sound when i play FLV format,i don't get the welcome to AOL sound when i log-on to the internet and no sound when i play the videos on youtube website or myspace.
But i have sound when i play CD ROM games and when i play music files that i have downloaded and also i get sound with the AOL media player.

I just don't understand why i get sound on some things and not others,i am beat,i've been wracking my brains for the last two days trying to figure it out.

I have tried everything i can think of and nothing seems to work,i thought maybe there's a problem with the sound card but i thought that would affect all the sound,the only other thing i can think of is that there's a problem with windows itself!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

woodchip 23:08 27 Mar 2007

For windows sounds Have you checked in Control panel to see if they are turned on?

Stuartli 23:22 27 Mar 2007

Go to Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel>Sounds tab and configure which sounds you require for individual tasks.

rdave13 00:40 28 Mar 2007

In AOL click on settings icon near the menue bar, click A-Z tab, click R-Z then sounds and tick "enable AOL sounds..." and click on save.

jamtarts 19:08 28 Mar 2007

I already tried all that,i've been through all the sound and volume on the computer,i've been through the troubleshooting sounds,i tried system restore,i even tried installing it again,i've tried everything i can possibly think of but i still can't get it to work!
I don't know,maybe the problem is with windows itself and i don't know how to fix that!

realist 21:30 28 Mar 2007

I have the same problem I think and never found a fix....

click here

palinka 21:58 28 Mar 2007

jamtarts, when you say " I've already tried all that" do you mean you've tried what Stuartli suggested? Because his suggestion is the most likely - sound has been "switched on" for some programs but not for others. Volume won't cure it if the sound isn't switched on for some activity/programs. For instance I don't like sound at boot up or switch off so on my computer I've set that sound at "None" by the method Stuartli suggested. If you want sound then you can switch it to On and choose what sound you want it to make for that action.

i n t e nZ e 23:08 28 Mar 2007

Do you get an error message about 5 minutes into windows saying something like: svchost failed to load press ok to shut the program and cancel to debug?

jamtarts 23:09 28 Mar 2007

Yup,i checked,the sounds have got the speaker icon next to them so there should be sounds,i'll go into pc world or phone the helpline at the weekend,my computer is still under a year old so the guarantee should still apply!

jamtarts 23:10 28 Mar 2007

Nope i don't get any error messages!

i n t e nZ e 23:13 28 Mar 2007

have you updated windows recently?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?