please help,i installed 4GB memory,but not so fast

habs2habs 12:08 03 Dec 2010

hi everyone

please i need your help.

i have laptop samsung NP-R70,with 4GB memory.

before i used to have 2 gb memory,and it was fine,the speed of the laptop was fine,no problem.

i upgraded the memory to 4GB.bought the memory from (click here),and use the scanner from bios.crucial recommend me to buy those memory,than i bought 4GB.

the bios recognize the 4GB memory.

i right click the my computer>properties>system(memory RAM) 4GB.

But the laptop doesn't look fast enough,for the 4GB memory,it should be a lot faster.

please is there any configuration to use on my laptop,to make my laptop faster.

i hope to hear from you very soon as you always did all the times

My kindest regards
habs2habs

Seth Haniel 12:12 03 Dec 2010

you can have all the memory in the world but it is the rpocessor speed that runs it :)

jamesd1981 12:14 03 Dec 2010

what version of windows do you have 32 or 64 if its 32 it cant use the full 4gb !

Cymro. 12:16 03 Dec 2010

Don`t you kneed a 64bit machine to get the full benefit of 4GB of RAM?

habs2habs 12:19 03 Dec 2010

thank you so much for your quick reply.

the specification are:

intel(R) core(TM)2 DUO cpu
T5450 @1.66 GHz 1.67 GHz

32bit window vista operating system

do you think if i buy windows 7 home edition 64bit will work on my laptop?

i hope to hear from you very soon as you did

My kindest regards
habs2habs

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:03 03 Dec 2010

"do you think if i buy windows 7 home edition 64bit will work on my laptop?"

Yes but I don't think you will see enough difference to make the cost worth while.

Your problem is that 32bit systems can only use 3.5G any extra causes slow down.

Can you remove 1G? or do you have 2x 2G sticks?

habs2habs 14:00 03 Dec 2010

again,and again you have been so helpful to me.thank you so much.and i appreciated so much.

i have 2x2GB memory.

i went to computer repairshop near where i live,and explained to him if i can upgrade the cpu,he replied to me that it is impossible.

again,he told me even your laptop can see 4GB memory,but your laptop can't use more than the 3.5gb memory maximum,because of (32bit)OS

than he told me that he needs to check my laptop to scan it full,to see if is there any leakage of memory

i asked him again if i buy windows7 home premium 64 bit,if it iwll work on my laptop,he said yes.

what do you think?

i hope to hear from you very soon

My kindest regards
habs2habs

Fingees 15:04 03 Dec 2010

Run windows 7 upgrade adviser.

This will check and tell you what will mneed to be altered

click here

Pine Man 15:22 03 Dec 2010

'Your problem is that 32bit systems can only use 3.5G any extra causes slow down.'

From my considerable research not so it will not cause a computer to run slower. I have looked far and wide and the general consensus is: 'It’ll behave just like the unused memory wasn’t physically present.'

In fact the majority of computer manufacturers now install 4GB RAM on their 32bit system computers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 03 Dec 2010

32-bit operating systems can only handle up to 4GB of memory 4,096 megabytes thats approx 3.5G the way Memory manufactures count it and sell it

You can use over this with a 32bit system by:

1) Access cmd: Click on the Start Pearl - type cmd in the Search Bar - and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (this allows you to run cmd in administrative mode)

2) Type BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

BCDEdit is a boot configuration editor for the command line. Using the above command you've just enabled Physical Address Extension (PAE) which can address memory larger than 4 GB

GaT7 19:31 03 Dec 2010

Another thing to try is a full system restore or fresh reinstall. Make sure to do a thorough data, email, etc backup before attempting either.

What's the size of your OS partition & how much free space do you have? A clean-up, especially if not done for a while, could make a difference (click here).

I've never experienced a slow down with more RAM - going from 2-4Gb (with a 32-bit OS) has made it slightly quicker or not very noticeable at all. I wouldn't recommend upgrading to a 64-bit OS. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?