Please Help - Uploading Via FTP - Urgent

loopylou28 10:55 24 Jan 2008

Hi Guys, this is the first time of visiting this website and I could really do with some help.

I have basically been stitched up by my hosting company which went bust overnight and my accounts got terminated. My website has been down for 48hrs + now and I am losing business and hope!

I finally got hold of my files last night and downloaded some FTP software, I have managed to transfer the files to the software and in turn to my new webspace. However there is an error somewhere and I have no idea what to do. I am not a technical person but since my webdesigner disappeared a year ago I have been muddling through. Now I am really stuck. I have tried to educate myself and have done well to get as far as I have but now I am completely stuck and clueless.

If anyone would be kind enough to give me a few minutes of their time to help me out I would really appreciate it.

The error message on my homepage now is this -

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'web83-shop-1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/beautypa/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

Any ideas what action I can take or what I am doing wrong?

lookwebdesign 11:27 24 Jan 2008
  loopylou28 11:32 24 Jan 2008

Thanks for your reply David. However, I already have web hosting as I set it up. My problem is uploading the files in the correct manner to the webspace. Or are you saying I need to increase my space with my provider? Thanks again.

lookwebdesign 11:56 24 Jan 2008

Hi

Sorry, scan read your message and didn't see you had a new host. It looks like the database connection (via database.php) still has your old password for your old host in there. Have you re-created the database for your site? If so enter your new password on line 19 in database.php to the one you set for the new database, this should sort the problem.

David

loopylou28 12:05 24 Jan 2008

Hi David

Thanks for that. I think I understand what you are saying. I am a complete novice so really have no clue. Basically all that happened was I had the files on my PC. I downloaded an FTP software which I uploaded the files to and then I connect with my webspace and uploaded them.

Regarding recreating databases etc I have not done this. I was told by the person who gave me the files that all they need to be was uploaded as the site was taken from one host and just needed to be transferred to the new host. No mention of databases etc was made and I believe the database is included in the files I have? If so whereabouts within the files can I fine the database.php so as to change the password.

To be honest I have been completely dropped in it as you can probably tell and although this task should be easy when you have no idea what you are doing it is slightly more difficult!

Any advice would be great, if you can work out what I am talking about in the first place.

Many thanks!

CodeMeister 17:39 24 Jan 2008

You need to get a backup (sql or csv file) of your database from your previous hosting company and then use that backup file to restore your MySQL database on your new hosting company's server and then set the connection string within /home/beautypa/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017