Please help - re security of routers

kelliemarie 22:49 19 Apr 2006

PLease can someone help me - Ive just bought a new laptop and wireless router. Whilst they are now set up and installed I need to activate the security of the router (routerlogin etc) and whilst I know I have to ensure the settings on my laptop are the same as the home PC I cant figure out how to do it???

When I type in the router login to my laptop it only gives me an IP address???

Please someone help - Im going nuts!!!

Kellie

mgmcc 23:55 19 Apr 2006

Open the router's Setup pages by typing its IP address into your web browser and then go to its wireless security settings. Ideally you want to enable WPA with TKIP encryption and you need to enter a "Pre-Shared Key" of between 8 and 63 characters. This is the key that you will then enter into the PC's wireless networking software to be able to access the network.

kelliemarie 06:23 20 Apr 2006

Thanks for the reply but Im afraid I still dont understand what to do and to which PC my home PC or laptop??? Could you/anyone clarify in a little more detail???

Many thanks

Kellie

Danoh 08:45 20 Apr 2006

Assuming your home PC is connected to your wireless router (tell us which make & model so we can give more detailed steps);

If your Laptop is running Windows XP SP2, it will be able to encrypt your data traffic with WPA which your router should also be able to do, but you need to check (router's manual, often on its installation CD).

From your home PC, start your browser program (Internet Explorer?) and type in the router's IP address (192.168.n.1 where n could be 0, 1, 3 or some other number dependent on the make of your router).

That should open your router's configuration page which has all manner of settings including those for security;
> Config page login password (change from default)
> SSID (change from default to your own ~ not your name nor post code!)
> Data traffic encryption ~ WPA or less preferable, WEP

If your router can be set to only allow access to PCs whose physical MAC addresses have been registered (MAC address "control"/"filtering"/etc), it is strongly recommended that you also set this.
Let us know what your router's make and model is, or after you have been able to access its configuration page and we'll be able to tell you how to get the physical MAC addresses for your home desktop PC and wireless laptop.

I personally prefer to switch of the broadcasting of my SSID right from the start, but others prefer to wait until everything is setup correctly and the wireless network proven 1st.

Post back with more info and we'll be able to take it from there.

kelliemarie 08:56 20 Apr 2006

Ah thank you so much - heres some more info so hopefully you can help me??

My laptop is XP but I dont know what SP2 is?? (its a HP with Centrino)

My home PC does run IE - but Im sorry I dont understand what you mean by type in the router's IP address?? Where do I type it in??? and where do I get it - my router is a Netgear WGR614v6

Im sorry that I sound so thick but honestly have no clue about any of it??

Kellie

Danoh 09:09 20 Apr 2006

As your laptop is a new one, it is bound to have SP2 (Service Pack 2 update for Windows' XP operating system), so that'll be OK.

Important; your home PC needs to be connected via a standard Ethernet cable to your router for the initial router configuration setup ~ is it?

You type in the IP address where you would normally type in a web site's address (IE's field called "Address" at the top of the window).

Danoh 09:10 20 Apr 2006

meant to add; as your router is Netgear, I believe its IP address is 192.168.0.1

kelliemarie 09:20 20 Apr 2006

Ok I think my home pc was connect (ive disconnect it all until I can figure it out) - I believe my router came with a blue ethernet cable

This is what I did yesterday:

I put in the netgear cd - it then ran thru step by step and told me how to connect the cables and stuff. Then I put the CD in my laptop and cant really remeber what happened but the internet connection worked!!

Then I went to routerlogin.net where this load of info popped up - I then clicked Wireless Settings and it let me choose either WEP or WPA - I tried both of these (adding in the key phrase thing) but each time I enabled them - it chucked out my laptop connection.

But if I go to routerlogin.net on my laptop (when my home PC is connected to the same page) all I get is an IP address (I think its 192.168.1.2) - but then I didnt know what to do as the connection dropped when I changed the WEP/WPA

God I hope that makes sense :)

Danoh 09:49 20 Apr 2006

What you've done is pretty ok ~ no need to run the Netgear CD on your laptop though.

When you change the wireless network's configuration, that will chuck out any wireless connections as they were using a different config.
Its akin to chopping the branch on which you are sitting at the time :-)

1st connect to your router via the blue ethernet cable and change to WPA (with no other wireless connections active) as you have done before.

2nd, on your laptop,
Add/Remove Programs to remove any Netgear wifi programs installed.
Then, click on;
Start> Control Panel> Network Connections>
Right mouse click on Wireless and choose properties
From memory, select the middle tab and "Remove" all Preferred Networks.
Then "Add" a new preferred network, using your home SSID, WPA, Passphrase, etc.

Once you click Apply, Ok, your laptop should connect pretty much immediately.

Danoh 09:57 20 Apr 2006

There is no need to access your router from your laptop after step 1 has been done (changed to WPA).
All you have to do is change the "Local" laptop's wifi settings as described above.

Pretty decent manual available, although its 154 pages!!
click here

kelliemarie 10:30 20 Apr 2006

Right Im gonna have a go at setting it all up again - please dont go anywhere today its likely I'll need more help at some point!!!!

Thank you so much - you've really been a wicked help!!

Speak soon - and wish me luck

Kellie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?