please help with new build

White_Elephant 18:45 05 Apr 2007

Attempting a newbuild but can't get power to the fan.
what happens is I connect the psu and press the power button on the case. The fan turns for a second then stops. I immediately disconnect the pwr each time so as not to fry the cpu and sometimes when i do this the fan suddenly starts up at full speed for a split second then stops as power is withdrawn.

Thing is, it cant be psu as i have tried 2 with same result. Getting really frustrated, any ideas?
Could mobo be buggered?

Intel e4300 with retail heatsink and fan
Gigabyte LGA 775 - 965p mobo
500w (20 + 4 pin psu)

skidzy 18:51 05 Apr 2007

Sounds like a mobo fault,possibly the boards sensor kicking in and cutting off the power.

You are talking the PSU fan and not the heatsink ?

White_Elephant 19:42 05 Apr 2007

sorry, i mean the cpu fan.

skidzy 19:43 05 Apr 2007

The heatsink ?

If so,replace this first,cheap enough on Ebay or Pc world/Maplin etc...

skidzy 19:44 05 Apr 2007

Just a quick thought,you did apply the thermal compound when fittin gthe cpu and heatsink...didnt you ?

baldtaco 19:58 05 Apr 2007

Are you trying to run the fan from a motherboard header rather than a molex?

White_Elephant 20:08 05 Apr 2007

answers: yes the heatsink fan is connected to the cpu_fan connector on the mobo.

Baldtaco: Im really not sure how to run the heatsink/cpu fan from a molex leading from the psu as they are not compatible - psu molexes are female same as the fan molex, you would surely need an adapter fitted with 4 pins like the mobo connector, that begs the question, why not just use the mobo pins?..

laurie53 20:28 05 Apr 2007

I don't know much about this but I thought that with modern boards the fan only cuts in when required, not permanently?

Laurie

baldtaco 20:43 05 Apr 2007

White_Elephant, hola

It can put too much drain on the mobo. Without knowing exactly which fans you have I'm guessing, but I know some of my Deltas and two of my Thermaltake state very specifically that you will damage the mobo if you try to run them from a header.

White_Elephant 20:48 05 Apr 2007

must say, i'm getting a bit confused now.
Laurie53 - surely the cpu fan runs constantly. Fan speed can vary according to load but you never run a pc without an active cpu fan.

Baldtaco, can you explain how to power the heatsink fan without attaching its molex to the mobo?

White_Elephant 20:59 05 Apr 2007

not trying to spam but just to clarify as there seems to be confusion, my problem is:
cpu/heatsink fan turns briefly on power on then stops. Not sure why. Psu is fine, no physical obstructions to fan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?