Please Help! - Networking Difficulties

Flashkiwi 16:40 05 May 2008

I recently bought a Belkin G Router and after getting over all the problems that threw up I can now access the net on my laptop and that works just fine.

I then remembered that I hadn't created a WPA in order to secure my network.

So I went to the Belkin Setup Wizard, (on my main PC) created a WPA and that was fine. However I now cannot connect to the internet on my main PC yet I can on my laptop wirelessly (which has allowed me to post this!).

Ethernet networking cable between router and PC is fine so I'm at a loss as to what I've iadvertantly done. =(=(=(

Please Help!

Cheers

Strawballs 16:44 05 May 2008

I am withyou on this one as WPA should only affect wireless connection and not ethernet connection.

Flashkiwi 16:53 05 May 2008

Thanks anyway, Strawballs.

In that case I've probably done something else to screw it up and the WPA is unrelated. Can anyone think of anything that I could have done?

Strawballs 17:02 05 May 2008

Have checked in internet options that connect via lan is checked.

Flashkiwi 17:05 05 May 2008

Automatically Detect Settings is checked in Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Strawballs 17:11 05 May 2008

Try checking in device manager to make sure that your network card is working properly

Flashkiwi 17:27 05 May 2008

Yes, apparently my adaptor is working fine. Might be on to somehting here though:

Went to available wireless network connections and it says:

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

If you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use that software"

What other program? All I did was go to the Setup Wizard online! (Which now I can't do)

Woolwell 18:40 05 May 2008

Assuming that the adaptor is on the laptop and it is working ok then I shouldn't worry about the:
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
. If you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use that software" message. This is typical with Belkin as the Belkin software overrules the Windows connection and you need to use the Belkin software.

Can you still access the router's configuration page from the desktop?

Are you using XP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?