Please help, is my pc too hot?

burgyman 15:52 01 Mar 2010

Hi,im new here,nice site!

i have a problem,i think my pc is running too hot? i have a home built pc,(built by a friend who has now moved away)and these internal components:

Biostar TA790GX3-A2+ sAM2+ AM3

AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core 9650

HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB GDDR3

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz HyperX

when my pc is idling,my case has a temp guide on the front,and sounds an alarm all day long when it reaches 40 degrees,i have downloaded cpuid and that says its idling at roughly 34 degrees,but when im gaming,it peaks at 47,is this too high for my cpu?

im in the process of ordering myself a better case (i hope to order it tomorrow) so hope that helps,i also plan to re do the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Thermal paste,as i have read this is great stuff.

any advice here would be really apprecitaed as im not in the know so much,and do worry when my pc case alarm sounds and then turns from its usual blue backlit display to red,indicating to me,danger?

or am i over worrying? (wouldnt surprise me one bit lol!).

Technotiger 15:57 01 Mar 2010

I would say your temps are not excessive, but a little cooler would be better. Perhaps the case/grills/fans etc need a bit of a clean-up, get rid of any dust or fluff and make sure of a good all round air-flow, to help in the cooling. But, as I say, IMHO nothing excessive there.

Technotiger 16:00 01 Mar 2010

BTW - meant to add - Welcome to the Forum - best on the Net!!!

Cheers ... TT

burgyman 16:06 01 Mar 2010

I have took each fan and heatsink out of the pc and thouroughly cleaned them all out with a fine brush,so i know i have no clog-ups anywhere,you say a little cooler? what sort of perametres are we talking/speculating about? im sorry if i appear rude (im not - honest!) im just worried,the pc never locks up or shuts down or crashes or anything (he says,touching wood),but the display on the case really worries me,mind you,it is a chepa case,but cpuid has confirmed that the temps on the case are about right?

Technotiger 16:09 01 Mar 2010

I was only thinking very generally, when I said 'cooler is better' and yes your case temps are about right, so I wouldn't worry about it.

burgyman 16:13 01 Mar 2010

Thanks for the help/info,do you think id be safe/ok to disconnect the temp guage on the pc case then?

i will report back once i have got everything into my new case with the new compound,im really hoping that will settle things down for me somewhat :)

Technotiger 16:17 01 Mar 2010

Yes, it is safe to disconnect it, but it is not taking up any space or power, so I would just leave it as is.

I have a temp gauge on the front of my desktop case too, think I'd feel something was missing without it!

User-312386 16:18 01 Mar 2010

No dont disconnect the case temp. Turn up the alarm in the BIOS to 50c

burgyman 17:07 01 Mar 2010

I just checked my bios,i checked every single option,there isnt any to stop the alarm or change the alarms temp?
ive looked at the digi display on my case,and have an option to set one temp,but it doesnt say what for? i se that to 50 degrees,but,it still bleeps when its under load/gets to 40 degrees?

roll on new case me thinks! this one is driving me nuts.

Input Overload 07:23 02 Mar 2010

Your temps are not excessive & I wouldn't lose any sleep until you get a new case. Many new PC's run has hot as yours new from large makers (DELL for one). However the cooler it runs I feel the better.

burgyman 09:45 02 Mar 2010

Thanks,i just ordered my new case,it should be with me tomorrow,now just to set some committed time aside to transfer everything,i cant wait!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache