please help me to get rid of this annoying pop-up

BeeWee 16:14 17 Dec 2003

whenever i log on to the internet almost the whole screen is filled up by a
"generic error
my son's nickname @yahoo.com
pop3 server unavailable. network problems?"

i have no network problems to my knowledge apart from this annoyance!
almost worse is another problem whereby a cheesy voice comes on pleading with me to sign up for bt yahoo broadband
any help to rid my pc of these 2 very annoying things would be gratefully received!

matt5705 16:30 17 Dec 2003

1)can u plz tell me what the box loks like does it popup in internet explorer or in its own box!

2)can u type in run msconfig and click on start up and fined somethin to do with the popup

keenan 16:44 17 Dec 2003

If want to stop pop-ups in general click here

If you want to remove adware/spyware from your system which can be the cause of these problems
click here

BeeWee 16:59 17 Dec 2003

thanks but i have run adaware and spybot and they have come up with nothing relating to these 2 annoying things. the box pops up whenever i open my browser..it almost fills the screen with its own box

TommyRed 17:12 17 Dec 2003

Download and install the Google toolbar as per keenans link. It's stopped all of the pop-ups on my system so far, and it's also useful. If you don't want it showing you can uncheck it in View>Toolbars. HTH TR

BeeWee 17:57 17 Dec 2003

thanks again...i have had the google toolbar for a few weeks now. this isn't like a normal pop up..it's like an error report directed at me...and i think it must be something to do with my son and yahoo (he swears blind he knows nothing)the message pops up thus:

generic error

[email protected]
pop3 server unavailable. network problems?

this is exactly as it appears (except it has my son's real nickname)

handy4x 19:01 17 Dec 2003

maybe you or your son has instaled another conection go to the contole panel/internet options/conections and see if you have more than one conection and delete the one s you don't use an make shure the proper one is set as defalt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?