Please help me crack Vista admin password

jaymus 11:37 30 Aug 2010

We have sadly inherited a laptop, but the admin account password in Vista is known only to the deceased. I cannot gain access to the desktop as there is no Guest account.

I have tried 3 free password resetting tools yesterday including Ophcrack, PC Login Now and Offline NT Password and Registry Editor. None worked. PC Login Now brought me close to a solution but I couldn't change the password options.

Before I give up and take it to a PC shop and pay a commercial fee, please let me know of any free software that you use to crack systems or of any fantastic and cheap commercial product. In fact, any help appreciated.

Thanks, Jaymus

jaymus 11:39 30 Aug 2010

Forgot to say that I don't have the Windows disks for an OS reinstall. Sadly.

birdface 11:47 30 Aug 2010

Will it open in safe mode.

birdface 11:55 30 Aug 2010

What happens if you keep tapping F10 as the computer starts.
Reformat.
Does the laptop have a coa sticker with the keycode on it.
If so borrow a disk with the same OS as the coa sticker and just add the keycode.

VoG II 11:59 30 Aug 2010

Maybe click here

woodchip 12:17 30 Aug 2010

Have You tried Start in Safe Mode Create a New Admin in User Accounts Control Panel then Delete the Old Admin

I have used Offline NT Password with success in the past, and although it is not the most intuitive software in the world, it did eventually work with a bit of perseverance. Perhaps it's worth giving it another try?

octal 13:23 30 Aug 2010

Do you need to get into the machine to look at the files? If that is all then try using the Puppy Linux live CD click here

octal 13:24 30 Aug 2010

Forgot the Puppy Linux link, here it is click here

birdface 13:50 30 Aug 2010

If you can get in using octals method then you could try this.

click here

Jollyjohn 14:13 30 Aug 2010

Go here click here and scroll down a bit to the download section, burn to cd and then boot from it. It will remove the password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone