please help me to connect to internet

redsusan 17:30 20 Jun 2008

Can you help me please, i have been over to my son's today as he had a problem connecting to Internet virgin broadband windows xp.
Having run all the usual spybot ad-aware
a2-squared no problems picked up .then found he has no virus protection on. he said that happened when he updated windows, i dont i wasn't there at the time. but today when i tried my best with little knowledge to connect to Internet .page cannot be displayed is all i get.
so i cannot get onto internet to download an antivirus programme to try that.what can i do?.
Thanks
Susan

birdface 17:48 20 Jun 2008

System restore in safe mode to a time it was running Ok.or switch of the modem for 10 seconds and turn on and leave for 2 minutes before you use it..or right click Local area connection and press repair.See if it finds any problems.

redsusan 17:58 20 Jun 2008

Have tried system restore up till to days ago 18th when all was well, but not in safe mode, how do i do that? have tried the other options but no help there.
Susan

birdface 18:13 20 Jun 2008

If you tried it here and it worked you don't need to try it in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts] You could try last good configuration if you go in there.Are you connected by cable.Can you send or receive e-mails is it just IE7 that you cant open.

redsusan 18:26 20 Jun 2008

Hi buteman thanks for replying to me, i am talking about my sons pc not mine which i am using now(and all is fine ,fingers crossed)and yes i think it is cable which he is on. if i could just get him connected to the net i could hopefully reinstall virgin virus which at the moment he doesnt have, if you know what i mean!! I dont know if he has a virus which is causing him to be unable to get online or what.or could it be that virgin is down?how would i find that out.

birdface 18:42 20 Jun 2008

It could be a virus.But as you have ran A squared etc and found nothing Its probably not that.My modem has 4 lights on it constantly,Just make sure his is the same.When you pressed repair was there any problems.Has he got a speed test saved in my favorites or anywhere that he can run.That would tell you if it is actually connected.Unfortunately I am going out so hope someone else will be able to help.Try.Control Panel.Internet Options.Lan Settings.and tick automatically detect settings.Ok .Apply Ok.See if that helps.Or while in there.Try Programs.Make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Or Advanced.Reset.This will only work on IE7 but worth a try.Or last one.Control Panel.Administrative tools.services.Scroll down to DNS Client and set it to automatic.Got to go Susan best of luck.Hope you get it fixed.

birdface 18:51 20 Jun 2008

Oops.one more.If he has got Messenger.Tools.Options.Connection.And start the connection troubleshooter and see what problems show on that if any.

redsusan 20:16 20 Jun 2008

Hi again buteman, have a nice night, the problem might be with virgin (i hope) a couple of his pals have said they also have had problems getting online today, so will try again tomorrow.
Night night

ronalddonald 20:40 20 Jun 2008

a virus protection onto a usb memory stick from your computer and whne you c your son downlaod form there to c if the comp has a virus.

birdface 08:55 21 Jun 2008

Going with this the Nottingham area was down yesterday.click here if still having problems if your son also has the phone package just dial 150 it is free now for customer services.He will need his customer number off one of his bills so it will help to have it ready.They will check that his connection is Ok.And help him with any connection problems.

wendov1202 16:33 23 Jun 2008

Hi there, I recently had a similar episode with Virgin Media. For some reason it wouldn't recognise my pc's address. This was last Thursday evening[19.06.08]. After poking about in areas I knew little about--networks and reinstalling the Virgin media disc, I opted for returning the machine to the nearest SYSTEM RESTORE point. It worked for me!
Regards
Old George

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?