please help me!!!

Toni84 19:21 30 Apr 2008

Hello I'm a computer newbie and I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem.
I live in a shared house and my friend (who lives directly below me) kindly let me connect to the internet through her phone line as she didn't have a computer at the time she didn't need the internet but she has now so she called the phone company (virgin media) and they advised her to get a wireless router so she can have internet too, the problem is I am having trouble connecting the router to my friends computer downstairs and I need to know how to over come this can anyone help get me started.

tullie 19:28 30 Apr 2008

Have you followed instructions for setup that you would have received?How were you connected before your friend decided to have internet access?

Toni84 19:34 30 Apr 2008

Thankyou for your propt response. :)I read and tried to follow the instructions in the box to the best of my knowledge, it says to change the IP address on the computer but I dont even know how to do that, I am connected directly to the internet from upstairs it just goes through the wall and down the side of the house into a box ???

woodchip 19:38 30 Apr 2008

If she got a Wireless Modem/Router You need to ask hear if you can setup her modem for Wireless for you to use it. But if the ISP as a Cap on Downloading this is not a fair arrangement, in the router you have to start the wireless connection and get the SSID user and Encryption key that you use to put in your computer settings. You will need to have Wi-Fi on your computer

Toni84 19:46 30 Apr 2008

I really am a complete beginner so I dont really understand that terminology I just wanted to help a friend connect to the internet. My internet is fine upstairs but she needs to connect her router downstairs to my computer and internet connection upstairs and I have no idea how the start but thankyou for your response.

woodchip 19:51 30 Apr 2008

If you have the Modem Router then follow the instructions I gave but she will need to have WiFi in her computer, or will need a wireless card fitting. you then put the settings in her Computer Network connection settings

Toni84 20:03 30 Apr 2008

This is very confusing because I dont know how to find out if her computer has WiFi or not (i'll probably sound really thick now sorry), I tried to set up a wireless connection using my computer upstairs and entered the user name and password but nothing worked. Anyway thankyou again for your help I will keep what you said in mind but I just spoke to her and she said she will have to call someone to fix it instead, I will certainly try and do what you said though. thankyou for trying to help.

Diodorus Siculus 20:04 30 Apr 2008

It seems that you have internet connection - so far so good.

How do you connect? Via wireless (so called wi-fi) or with a cable from the phone to the router?

This is cable internet I presume?

What router do you have?

Diodorus Siculus 20:08 30 Apr 2008

Probably best to get someone in to have a look.

Good luck!

Toni84 20:30 30 Apr 2008

Ok it's a TP-Link, 54M Wireless Router it did'nt come with anything other than a plug and a cd

woodchip 23:19 30 Apr 2008

OK hear goes, put the CD in the drive then brows the CD. It should tell you how to setup the router. It may be a PDF file to double click on, or a readme file. there are no drivers to load

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?